Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
"Why unplug the controllers when you aren't using them?" for the same reason i unplug my vacuum cleaner when i'm not using it - because I"M NOT USING IT! :-) for some of us, gaming and emulators aren't a big part of our lives. if i ran my vacuum cleaner on a daily basis and had enough space in my already cluttered surge protectors, i might just leave the damn thing plugged in.

anyway, i'd love to have a choice as to whether or not the input mapping is wiped. that way, everyone is happy. i'm not a programmer by any means, but is it really that difficult to stick a check box in the options screen and give us a choice so these same exact threads would stop popping up? i've seen at least a dozen or so with the same complaint.

one more thing, have you used nestopia linux's input mapping? HORRIBLE implementation. good thing the mapping is remembered even if the controller isn't present...

i urge those arguing said behavior is intended to make it easier for users to try using nestopia linux on a mobile laptop and configure their input mapping a couple times a week. i bet you'd do a hard 180 and start looking at things differently.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Wow. And I thought Mac users hated me for making free things for them.

The current controller mapping works fine for me. I'd be delighted to see a patch though, since everything's GPL.

sarcasm isn't really necessary, because most of us who complain only want to help make nestopia the best.. the only way to do that is give feedback to the devs who are usually programming inside of a proverbial echo chamber.

i'm sure the current controller mapping works fine for those (Windows users) who leave their controllers plugged in all the time, which could very well be 50% of (Windows) users (just throwing that number out there for the sake of argument, it's probably much lower). no one hates you for making "free things" for them. what's important is listening to those people (in this case, quite a few) and trying accommodate their various needs to make this the best emulator it can be. and i'm not talking about adding so many features it bloats up, but a few useful ones who's absence have plagued nestopia's functionality and useablility for far too long now.

if i had the time to learn to code a patch, i certainly would have a long time ago since the devs are basically in denial that a great number of people have an issue with a certain "feature" that's actually a bug in disguise.

also we understand this is a GPL project, so please don't take our critiques/criticisms personally.

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Speaking as someone who doesn't live on his own and doesn't have a nearly 1:1 ratio of neat technological toys to controllers, and therefore doesn't have the luxury of being able to leave things plugged in all the time for cleanliness's sake, I'd just like to chuck in my two cents that forgetting controller settings whenever a controller is disconnected is bad and wrong. If one of my Xbox 360 games forgot my controller remapping just because I happened to disconnect it and sync a DJ Hero controller instead, I'd run it through a fricking shredder.

all that would be needed in the GUI is an option to remember mapping. leave it off by default even.
click the below image see my professionally photoshopped proposal:

a simple check box or something similar, but that's the basic idea here.
programmatically speaking, how difficult would something like this be to implement?

S
S
I use the XBox 360 controller. I don't unplug the wireless dongle, but I do turn it off. If I open Nestopia before I turn on the controller (or if the controller is turning on), it wipes the config.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Yeah, I get it. Unless c0d3h4x0r is going to address this it's not happening, and nobody has any suggestions on the Linux configuration besides insulting me (I created the Linux version, in case it's not clear). Does that about cover things?

Last edited by R. Belmont; 04/19/10 04:10 PM.
G
G
I, too, have no suggestion concerning the Linux version, so sorry, but I just wanted to say that on behalf of the people in this thread I've forwarded this suggestion/bug to c0d3h4x0r for his consideration. He's been nothing but understanding and helpful so far, so let's hope he'll take a quick look.

Edit: He will, but it'll require more than a quick look smile

Last edited by gummybear; 04/19/10 06:33 PM.
J
OP Offline
J
So, what's the news?

G
G
C0d3h4x0r has this on his to-do list for 1.43. At the moment, he's still working his 1.42 release (sorry, can't say anything concerning a release date), I believe.

This problem is a little more complex than it seems and apparently requires him to rewrite the settings code. Let's be patient smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
6 members (R. Belmont, peter ferrie, retrolou, robcfg, Darkstar, MAMEBase), 31 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,924
Posts117,253
Members4,991
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com