Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
ac1102 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I've looked thru and found a few articles. However, think of me as the guy who read the back of cliff's notes. Here's OUR problem, when we close nestopia it loses the configuration. I've seen a few things where they change file types and save the configuration. I just can't or need the most basic instructions. I bought this HP for my sister and her kids would probably love retro. So I want to plug them in the back of the computer and leave them configured. I'm running Windows 7 - 64 bit. My sister will be running XP Pro - 32bit

Thanks in advance

Last edited by ac1102; 06/18/10 02:38 AM. Reason: O/S information
M
M
Just make your nestopia.xml file read-only.

Z
Z
Just wanted to add that I have the exact same problem, and can't seem to find any solution. I made nestopia.xml read-only but that didn't fix it. Every time I exit Nestopia and go back in, I have to remap my controllers from scratch.

Anyone have any ideas?

B
B
Nestopia re-writes the xml file as it exits, so, if you make changes to Nestopia's configuration and then set the xml file's read-only attribute while Nestopia is still running your changes will not be saved.

Make your changes to Nestopia,
Exit Nestopia,
Set read-only attribute on xml file.

Last edited by buzbard; 07/06/10 06:33 PM.
B
B
How do you get rid of the warning that it cannot write to the file on exit?

Z
Z
Thanks buzbard for adding that info, that worked!

I have the same question that BuddMan, how do you get rid of the warning? I'm guessing an AHK script? I can't seem to find one

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Make a copy of the config, leave it writable (to get rid of the warning), and use a .bat to launch NST that copies the backup config to the real file then launches the emulator.

Z
Z
Aha, brilliant. I thank you, I just started using batch files recently so I can make this happen. THanks again!

B
B
The problem with a .bat file is that you're left with a command prompt window.

The best solution that I've found is to use a VBScript file.

Make a copy of your nestopia.xml file and rename it to nestopia.xm_
Create a new text document, name it NES.vbs and paste the folloing text:

Quote:
Set wshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
wshShell.run "cmd /c copy nestopia.xm_ nestopia.xml",0,true
wshShell.run "nestopia.exe",1,false
Set wshShell =nothing

Point your shortcut to the new NES.vbs file.
It just copies the .xm_ back to the .xml before running nestopia and doesn't leave that annoying blank command prompt window in the background.

Last edited by buzbard; 07/20/10 04:32 PM.
S
S
I had a similar issue. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. When I closed Nestopia the process would hang (stay at 0 cpu utilization) while it tried to write the XML config and I would need to completely reconfigure it on every load. I read either here or somewhere else this is because Windows 7 tries to force 'legacy' applications to write to 'C:\Program Data\<application_name>' (it's a hidden folder) and that conflicts with Nestopia while it tries to write the config. I moved the Nestopia installation to 'C:\Program Data\nestopia' and I haven't had a single issue with this for about 2 months now. I would know if I had this issue again because I use Nestopia with a front-end program (GameEx) that waits for the emulator to close before switching back to itself so having Nestopia hang on close is noticeable and annoying.

I hope this saves someone hours of pain.

Last edited by Squega; 08/22/10 04:40 AM.

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 24 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,085
Posts119,077
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com