Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: TG-16 CD Software List [Re: k1w1] #66946 01/18/11 03:14 PM
H
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Yeah there is some confusion over what are the 1:1 good dumps..

k1w1 mentioned he used some 'rigg' collection, but I don't know how it differs from the 'redump' collection I'm working with somebody else on understanding.

I've heard of 'redump', I haven't heard of 'rigg'

The 'redump' stuff is definitely 1:1 with correct audio offsets etc. Many of the audio tracks match the ones that were encoded (which were also offset correct)

As mentioned, a decent set of tools is needed for comparison.

Re: TG-16 CD Software List [Re: k1w1] #66980 01/21/11 08:21 AM
K
k1w1 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I have know converted all of the TG16 set i have to CHD format and have conducted some investigation into those sets (The RIGG Set), from what i can glean from relevant forums and and other sites they appear to be all good and respected rips of the originals.

I have checked about 30 of the 51 conversions to CHD, 4 would not run and about 6 had some audio sync & clipping problems in the cut scenes. I initially thought this could be an issue with the quality of the rips or CUE files so I downloaded another emulator called TurboEngine to see if i had the same problems running this software on it. The issues i had with MESS was not evident on TurboEngine.

I can only assume that there are still some A/V emulation problems with MESS. Beyond Shadowgate was particularly bad with big sections of the cutscene intro missing completely on playback in MESS.

To ensure that there was not a problem with the "chdman" conversion, I unpacked them back to BIN/CUE format and found both files exact to the originals.

etabeta has been PM'd with the updated pcecd.xml and i have started adding serial #, year & publisher info to the list.

I am even more confident that these rips are accurate.

k1w1

Last edited by k1w1; 01/21/11 09:50 AM.
Re: TG-16 CD Software List [Re: k1w1] #66996 01/21/11 07:19 PM
G
gigadeath Offline
G
Problem is... running is not the only requirement for them being considered 1:1. Offsets and proper gaps say hello smile

I never heard about this Rigg set, but I guess it's not proper 1:1, at least in the 2011 meaning (Redump pretty much swept away the old "bin+cue is 1:1" concept, which is totally 2002).

But I also guess that, if the current goal is to fine-tune PCE-CD emulation, even Rigg's is fair game. All the CHDs will be replaced in the long run anyway (btw I still have a few PCE-CD discs I acquired for Redump, before PCE-CD was put on idle).

Re: TG-16 CD Software List [Re: gigadeath] #67002 01/21/11 09:05 PM
K
k1w1 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Quote:
Problem is... running is not the only requirement for them being considered 1:1. Offsets and proper gaps.

I agree. All i am saying is the set seems accurate enough to run well on at least one emulator i have found.

I had a look at the redump site and the status of their 113 PCE CD rips, indicates that most of them are "possible bad dumps". only 2 or 3 of the 113 were TG16 rips.

The set that has been initially used in the PCECD.xml has additional tracks on many of the rips. At least i am relatively certain that this TG16 set i am using, does not.

k1w1

Last edited by k1w1; 01/21/11 09:06 PM.
Re: TG-16 CD Software List [Re: k1w1] #67013 01/22/11 11:35 AM
G
gigadeath Offline
G
With "additional tracks" are you referring to those data tracks at the end? Because those are present on the real discs as well, and they're one of the reasons PCE cds are difficult to dump. I dumped a few PCE cds myself and the number of tracks is exactly what you see in Redump database, no more no less.

"Possible bad dump" is a generic warning but it's true, the dumping tools available atm can't guarantee perfect PCE-CD dumps, if such thing is really possible considering the subcodes issue.

Anyway the entries in Redump are at least:
1) dumped with the correct tools (PerfectRip and/or EAC - this obsoletes the old "1:1 from 2002" crap dumped with CDRWin or CloneCD)
2) offset corrected (this obsoletes the TOSEC "cut-off audio" dumps)

It really is an old argument (I think there was a discussion about good cd dumps in these very forums years ago), but nothing seems really changed if CDRWin dumps are still considered 1:1... wink

I would use Redump entries as a base for the lists regardless. It's not a priority considering PCE-CD emulation is still on its way, but Redump's still the only database which has a basic grasp of what "1:1" really is. I have a few discs here to test on, if it's needed smile

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 46 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,775
Posts115,470
Members4,899
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020