Edit - nevermind, had to copy/paste to the address bar.
2nd Edit - now the SPI games don't work for me, it says the SHA1 for the .nv files is wrong even though they're listed as all zeroes in the .xml
You must create them with MAME by initializing the game completely to title screen and then exiting, using the NVRAM (.nv) file that is created. The 00000000 tells M1 to use whatever is given, so long as the filename that is expected is correct and in the proper .ZIP container.
I did create them using MAME and added them to the ROM .zip files, they worked fine in the older version of M1 I was using from 2007. Now they're failing an SHA-1 check with the new version & .xml file I updated to. Android M1 behaves the same way.
I ended up "fixing" it by using HashCalc to get the actual SHA1 of the .nv files and updating the .xml file with the actual values.
I have now removed the file Tafoid posted in order to prevent future difficulties with the SPI games. My apologies in advance to people who wished to use the better Megadrive/Genesis support in a10 - SPI is clearly more important :P