Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73811 10/23/11 08:52 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I'm using NEStopia on a real arcade cab with a arcade monitor (15 kHz). vsync does not work correctly there. No matter what option I select there is always tearing or missing frames.

Now I read an interesting article about that (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421792). It's mainly the problem that frequency differences should be handled in hardware. There should be a syncing to monitor refresh - this would be the only solution to get fluid scrolling. Games and/or sound would be slightly faster (or slower if you use less then 60 Hz) - but absolutely unnoticable. With the effect that vsync would work perfectly.

Maybe taking a look at VirtuaNES would help as this emulator does it the right way!

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
NST is currently a dead project; if VirtuaNES works better for you, by all means use it.

C
OP Offline
C
I'm using it, be sure of that. I only want to bring this matter to the attention of the programmers. Some emulators do it the right way (and that's the reason why vsync is working there) and some emulators have different approaches (which do not work correctly).

K
K
A few comments in passing (I have not looked at the neogaf thread):

1. There is Options -> Timing -> Synchronize to refresh rate. Whether or not it behaves how you expect it to / want it to is unknown.

2. The behaviour of "waiting for Vsync" greatly varies and is fully dependent upon the following items, all independently (meaning there are many, MANY combinations to try):

2a. Windows version used -- Windows XP handles Vsync (in DirectX) very differently than Windows Vista and Windows 7.

2b. If the application is running in true full-screen mode or windowed mode. "Using windowed mode but the window is maximised" is not the same thing as full-screen (DirectX handles these very differently).

2c. Video card driver versions and "application profile settings". The latter refers to how most card manufacturers can now let you toggle features or capabilities on a per-executable (per-program) basis, and are 100% independent of whatever options can be selected within that program. There are also often global defaults; some driver versions often default to "Vsync disabled / not allowed" to increase framerate maximums.

2d. Monitor/display profile (.INF) oddities; for example, my Dell 2407FPW out-of-the-box provides only one frequency rate: 60.0Hz. However, on Windows 7, if I update the monitor profile to what Microsoft Update provides, I end up with two choices: 59.9Hz and 60.0Hz (and the default becomes 59.9Hz). Who's to blame for this one? My point is that not everyone who's tinkering about with monitor/display profiles knows what they're doing, and that includes the manufacturer of the product (the actual vendor/engineering group that makes the monitor is more often than not a different division than who makes the .INF file. Toss language barriers into the mix and you're left with nothing but a big mess and an angry consumer).

2e. The software/application itself. Yes, it's true that many applications don't wait for VBlank correctly, or do so in a wonky way. These applications are often written by programmers who are not aware of the aforementioned items/differences. To make matters worse, end-users often report problems with Vsync in such a way (lack of information -- your post is an example, actually! No offence intended!) that results in the programmer "messing around" and causing problems for some while "fixing" it for others.

3. The author of Nestopia, Martin Freij, has disappeared. Many people have Emailed him or attempted to track him down, with no response. He's assumed either extremely busy or dead (not kidding). Martin has also never participated in this forum, to my knowledge. This forum is separate/independent.

Making life hard for others since 1977.
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Marty actually has participated on this forum, but only very infrequently and not at all since he disappeared.

Regardless, NST is a dead project and there are no programmers to bring things to the attention of.

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Stick, 1 invisible), 37 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,960
Posts117,772
Members5,001
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com