Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#74121 11/04/11 04:29 PM
Evan Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all,

I am having trouble getting any fronted to run on OSX Lion with the latest build of mame or mame64. I have tried all three main front ends:
mametunes, mamepgui, andqmc2.
All of the directories point to the correct build of mame Latest version (.138). I also have the latest SDL build installed.
When I launch mamepgui, it loads the xml file (approx. 10,500 ROMs), then quits.
mametunes quits on an attempted ROM launch with a "2" error.
QMC2 quits with a missing files error, although all of the ROMs loaded and worked fine with the last build od SDLmame.

Sorry to be so dumb, but I am not a programmer, and grew up in the MacMAME realm (since like version .1 or something).

Any help appreciated, thanks so much!

smile

Last edited by Evan; 11/04/11 04:30 PM.
Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
Can't speak for the other FEs...

Originally Posted By Evan
QMC2 quits with a missing files error, although all of the ROMs loaded and worked fine with the last build of SDLmame.

I'm not sure if I get you right, but you've probably just missed to either setup the 'rompath' within QMC2, or (easier/better!) to specify the working directory of the emulator. Assuming that your ROMs are inside the 'roms' sub-folder, just go to 'Tools' -> 'Options...' (in the menu), then select the 'Emulator' -> 'Files / Directories' tab and enter (or select) the 'Working directory' of the emulator (its absolute path, where the MAME executable file resides). Click on Apply or OK and recheck your ROMs...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]
Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
BTW... MAME 0.138 is not the "latest", it's 0.143 (soon 0.144). That said, it may also be that "mame -listxml" crashes in the version you're using... have you tried to run this stand-alone (on the command line)?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]
M
M
There is a known problem in M+GUI that will cause the application to quit after loading the XML file.

Edit your 'mame.ini' file, and under 'PERFORMANCE OPTIONS' change the value from 'auto' to '2' (or however many processor cores you have in your machine).

That should fix that problem.

As to MAME_Tunes, what version are you using? (The latest is 4.0.3)

Import the XML file 'as text' , and be aware that (at least on my setup) that updating the file statuses may result in a 'Multiple Validation Errors' error on quit. Hopefully, this will be fixed in a future version.

Hope that helps!

The following statement is true...
The preceding statement is false.
Evan Offline OP
OP Offline
Got it, it was the XML file. Thanks a ton. BTW, qmc2 is a GREAT fronted.

Cheers!

smile

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (R. Belmont, TSCHAK), 21 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,100
Posts119,241
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com