Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5466 12/15/05 07:48 AM
K
Knurek Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hoot is a multi-computer sound emulator. Something akin to M1, but concentrated on Japanese PCs/Consoles.

I've recently started a site dealing with it, offering game sets downloads, and some other nifty features. If yer reading VORC regularly you should know about it already, but still, won't hurt to post here about it. smile

Site's located at www.hoot-archive.tk , with a backup mirror at www.snesmusic.org/hoot

Last update added ~120 new games, so now it stars music from 479 games from the old Japanese PCs (with more to come).

Some highlights from the update:

King Breeder and Digan no Maseki by Hitoshi Sakimoto.
Xenon, Yu-No by Ryu Umemoto.
Wingman 2 by Koichi Sugiyama.
A whole slew of Falcom games (most notable are the PC88VA versions of Sorcerian which have enhanced music compared to all the other versions and all Brandish games).
Granada X86k by Motoi Sakuraba.
Akumajo Dracula X68k by Konami Koukeiha Club. It's the version released later for PSX as Castlevania Chronicles. This has 4 *working* MIDI versions to choose from (I'd recommend everyone to try the Vermouth one, sounds sweet).

Anyways, feel free to come and give a hoot to the tunes.

PS. Oh, and one more thing - I'm open to any submission you guys can make, whether those be track translations, corrections or missing game images (I'm gonna compile a most wanted list and put it on the site sometime this week).

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Is there a (dis)advantage to these rips vs. the .MDX+.PDX and .S98 rips Audio Overload plays? I've got lots of classic Japanese tunes in those formats already. (Certainly AO is easier to use than Hoot, and is fairly aggressively multiplatform).

K
Knurek Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Well, Hoot uses original music driver and data ripped from the game images (there are some sets that use drivers from one game with a few games, but it's normal for a company to share the music code between it's products).

MDX are fanmade conversions (it's a tracker format, something like X68000 MODs), unless the game actually used MDX (I know one game that did, Chou Rensha, but there are probably more dojin games that do). And Hoot supports MIDI out for X68000 games, so you can listen to enhanced versions of tunes from eg. Castlevania X68000 (Vermouth version kicks ass!).
S98 logs are quite accurate (for my ears at least), but there are way less of them (for example, there's no OPNA version of Sorcerian, or Brandish 2, 3, VT packs). And, as they're logged, they can get quite big fast (Take a look at King Breeder pack. Hoot version - 193 kB, S98 set - 4.3 MB).

Also, Hoot lets you view the notes played on every channel device (which is neat) and mute channels selectively (which is helpful if you want to check what those freaky Sound Team JDK guys are doing with the PSG channels and why it sounds so nice). And they are using your code, so that's like, +10 points. smile

Sure, the interface is clunky at best. Yeah, all the songs are played indefinitely (unless you go out of the way to add times to them using an external aplication). And it's no substitution for the VGM media player of your choice.

But it's a nice thing to have on you HDD, just so you can fire it up, and play "Tower of the Shadow of Death" from Ys until your ears bleed. wink

Also it helps greatly if you want to make a MP3/MPC/OGG gamerip. You don't have to hunt the game (and PC98 games can get quite big), search for a soundtest in it and be scared at all the aggresive kanji. You just run Hoot and some recording software.

Oh, and I was supposed to slap an [OT] at the topic. Sorry for that, lateness induced stupidity. wink

N
N
So wait, Hoot supports MIDI out for X68000k games = I can use my Sound Canvas with Hoot?

-nZero
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
I get the impression you can't do actual physical MIDI out, just play SC/GS through Timidity (which they call "Vermouth" for some reason).

ETA even though it's only vaguely related: FreeSCI can output the music to a real MT-32 or compatible, which is cool. I think my CM-32L broke though smirk

K
Knurek Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Belmont:
I get the impression you can't do actual physical MIDI out, just play SC/GS through Timidity (which they call "Vermouth" for some reason).
That and MT32Emu.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
MT32Emu is probably the worst misuse of the letters "e-m-u" in history. It runs zero CPU code from the original device and it emulates zero hardware from the original device.

F
F
I've downloaded hoot, but I can't seem to get it to work correctly... I'm trying to use it to playback music from arcade roms (I want to be able to hear individual tracks to the songs from Gradius III), and the program apparently appears to recognize the roms I have placed in its folder, and even loads track lists for them. However, it won't actually play any music, except for Street Fighter Alpha 3, for some reason.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

M
M
The problem is that you're using Hoot instead of M1. :shiver:

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Yeah, pretty much. For arcade music M1 is infinitely easier to use, especially with the Bridge frontend (M1 also supports more games and works directly with MAME ROMs). Hoot's strength is primarily rips from obscure Japanese home computers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Pernod, 1 invisible), 21 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,086
Posts119,088
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com