I tried to be civil and this?

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By mudlord
and this?

"this" what?

M
M
I tried to be respectful to byuu, and as usually, he acts the same way he does over the past 7 years.

With complete disregard of what I said AND claiming that I came here to troll him. What BS. I came here mainly for MG's N64's work and for testing it. not for pestering some person which has wanted me dead for so long.

Heck, I made peace with MG, so all is well there. And now byuu refuses the same white flag?

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Unless byuu originally posted something else and then edited it I don't see him making any such claims.

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Unless byuu originally posted something else and then edited it I don't see him making any such claims.

Originally Posted By byuu
I told you he would stop by :P

Apart from the credit thing I have no particular issue with byuu, but this does seem overly snarky in response to a genuinely helpful suggestion. Would, "Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at the core and see if I can find any remaining ARM bugs in my core," have been too much to ask for?

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
byuu suggested previously that mudlord would Google himself and come post here. mudlord did indeed put in an appearance. I fail to see how "I told you he would stop by" is a capitol offense in that context.

Please take this IRC-style pointless bickering over to IRC where it belongs.

B
byuu Offline OP
OP Offline
B
We're finalizing some issues with the ARM core, and then I'll get a document up explaining the register interface.

But for now: it seems important to emulate unaligned byte read shifting in order for the AI threat detection to work properly. Cydrak's attempting to perform a stack corruption to execute custom code to determine how the timer works.

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By byuu
But for now: it seems important to emulate unaligned byte read shifting in order for the AI threat detection to work properly. Cydrak's attempting to perform a stack corruption to execute custom code to determine how the timer works.

Thanks for the information that we already knew about and emulate in our ARM core, I guess? Seriously, there's a reason why I keep vehemently urging you to stop re-inventing the wheel with ARM. It's a finicky CPU and ours is already well-debugged.

Edit: Put it this way, why are you so hell-bent on doing it yourself? Bereft of any better explanation, I'm going to guess it's because you're paranoid about inheriting other peoples' bugs and other peoples' inaccuracies, as if you're the first person to write an accurate CPU core, as if we're all just blithering idiots and MAME is able to self-emulate with our ARM9 core by pure happenstance. It's ridiculous and mildly insulting.

B
byuu Offline OP
OP Offline
B
> Thanks for the information that we already knew about and emulate in our ARM core, I guess?

My understanding was the exact behavior differed between ARM revisions and implementations, so I thought it might prove pertinent to share that this game relies on it. Especially as the MESS cores look like a 26-bit variant, and a more modern ARMv4+ variant. (I am aware they are otherwise BC.)

Sorry, I'll stop bothering you then.

> Seriously, there's a reason why I keep vehemently urging you to stop re-inventing the wheel with ARM. It's a finicky CPU and ours is already well-debugged.

For the same reason you won't use my SNES emulation inside MESS (which I've offered), I can't just take MESS' core and plop it into my emulator. The coding style is fundamentally incompatible (I implement cycle granularity with cooperative threads, and not with state machines.) That's even discounting the GPL licensing issues involved.

> as if you're the first person to write an accurate CPU core, as if we're all just blithering idiots and MAME is able to self-emulate with our ARM9 core by pure happenstance

I could say the same when you don't use my CPU/PPU/SMP/DSP cores in MESS.

Nothing could be further from the truth. You are taking what I've said out of context into the absurd.

I write emulators because I want to personally learn how they work. Not because I like taking pre-made pieces and gluing them together. If I wanted to do that, I'd write a Genesis emulator :P

You really are being way too hostile. My only intent here is to share resources and help each other. I never meant any disrespect.

H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Considering the amount Byuu has *given* to emulation (we'd still be in the dark ages for SNES otherwise) I think he's entitled to write his own cores, post his own findings, and do whatever else he pleases.

His methods seem to work well, bSnes is lightyears ahead of *anything* in MAME or MESS, and as he says, and while people writing emulators for other platforms are choosing not to share their findings, or make their development process visible instead Byuu is showing his thought process and developing everything in a very public way.

The best way to fully understand anything is to do it yourself. The best thing you can do as you're working out how something works is to share your findings (and code) with others (even if they end up confirming what was already know) Byuu does both of these, which makes his work much more important and much more useful than a lot of work done in emulation.

I fail to see an issue.

As an added bonus, people also have a choice of cores to use, maybe somebody would want to use Bsnes as the basis of their own arcade emulator?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 18 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,019
Posts118,453
Members5,010
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com