Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
S
OP Offline
S
Hi, everyone.

Sorry to hear about the catastrophic server failure of the MESS wiki.

Question about the Apple II driver: does it include Mockingboard sound card support? I recently tried to boot the Mockingboard version of Ultima III in MESS v0.145 but I couldn't figure out how to get Mockingboard sound functional or know for sure if it's even an option in MESS. I tried searching for information but with the mess.org crash I wasn't able to find a whole lot and nothing that could tell me definitively one way or the other.

I don't have a problem getting Mockingboard sound to work with Applewin, but unfortunately Applewin doesn't support nearest-neighbor interpolation scaling. That's one thing I really like about MESS; it handles scaling exactly how I want it to on flat panel monitors.

L
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
L
If you mean the AY-3-8910 part of the mockingboard, that MIGHT be supported in mess, I'm actually not sure.
If you mean the Votrax SC-02/SSI263 speech chip part of the mockingboard, that's a ways off yet.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
The II+/IIe emulation should have a Mockingboard in slot 4 by default.

S
S
With all due respect to RB, I don't believe Mockingboard support is working either. At least, I've never gotten it to work (and I mean the AY-3-8910 part as LN indicated).

Since Ultima III requires some configuration for the card, one easy and conclusive way to check support is to load "Willy Byte in the Digital Dimension" (an old fave of mine). If a Mockingboard were present, the game should automatically start with the soundtrack invoking the AY-3-8910. However, you only hear the Apple ][ speaker chirping.

Mockingboard support would obviously be quite nice, but it sounds like it's a ways off so I wouldn't hold your breath. Good to know other folks remember this neat sound card though! smile

S
OP Offline
S
Shoegazer, I think you may be right. With Ultima III when the game boots you can select which type of Mockingboard sound you wish to use (three options, last one includes speech) and which slot it's on. I tried both the non-speech sound options on both slots 4 and 5, for the apple2, apple2c, apple2e, and apple2ee drivers. Couldn't get it to work on any of them.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, guys and gals.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
I tried Willy Byte and it never accesses any slot other than 6. (This is the .do version from the TOSEC Minor Sets 01). Is there some way to configure it?

Similarly, my Ultima III from the same source doesn't appear to have any sound selection options. The main menu is just party-related stuff.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by R. Belmont
I tried Willy Byte and it never accesses any slot other than 6. (This is the .do version from the TOSEC Minor Sets 01). Is there some way to configure it?

Similarly, my Ultima III from the same source doesn't appear to have any sound selection options. The main menu is just party-related stuff.

I'm using the Mockingboard version of Ultima III found in (do not list specific site names or URLs in public!); it works fine on Applewin using the same disk images.

Same with Ultima IV, by the way (which can be found in the TOSEC [DO] set). Mockingboard can be activated from within the game on Ultima IV; it prompts for Mockingboard type and slot info; works fine in Applewin but no combination of type/slot I've tried works using the apple2e driver in MESS v0.145.

EDIT:

Sorry for mentioning a the ROM site. Thought it was okay since I didn't link it, but I guess not.

Last edited by SedrynTyros; 03/25/12 07:34 PM.
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Alright, after some investigation I'm not sure how or if the alleged Mockingboard support ever worked. Just pretend I said "no" above and proceed smile

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by R. Belmont
Alright, after some investigation I'm not sure how or if the alleged Mockingboard support ever worked. Just pretend I said "no" above and proceed smile

Lol! Thanks again for looking into it. At least now I know it's not just me! wink

Overall, I really love what MESS can do with these old systems. The apple2gs driver in particular really kicks butt! And there's no substitute to the Apple IIgs for playing those earlier Sierra adventures games; King's Quest I, II, III and Space Quest I, II. The sound on the Apple IIgs for those games is much, much better than what was available on any other computer at the time.

S
S
You can also configure Ultima III that way too. FWIW when you start the Mockingobard version of UIII, it says "It appears that you have a Mockingboard installed in Slot 0". Could be part of the problem, dunno. You can still configure sound type and slot after that, but like you said, no combination works (at least that I tried).

EDIT: Posted this after RB's latest response, so ignore this. I think you have your answer now anyway. wink

Last edited by Shoegazer; 03/25/12 07:48 PM.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (anoid, AJR, Dorando), 57 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,293
Posts121,521
Members5,067
Most Online1,283
Dec 21st, 2022
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com