Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#657 05/03/05 09:34 PM
OP Offline
When I launch MacMESS, it comes up with a list of game systems in the window... "Amstrad 464plus", "Amstrad 6128plus", "APEXC (as described in 1957)", etc. etc.

Is there any way to remove these built-in systems from the list, for cosmetic purposes? Like, I don't particularly care about most of the ones listed; I only want certain home computers to appear. Can I remove the others, or could a feature be added in the future to remove them? (Like, maybe, they only show up if a zero-length file with a certain name is in the ROMs folder?)

It also occurred to me that this list shouldn't be listing consoles, it should actually be listing the software to run on them. For example, MacMAME doesn't list ""Capcom Play System 2" and then use an "Open File" dialog to make me find the software to run on it. I can understand that maybe MacMESS is set up this way because these are the roms in the ROMs folder, and some systems allow a user to play with 'em without loading any additional software... but still, it would be great if maybe the 'MESS' tab on the right showed me a list of the software I could load for the system I've selected, rather than using an Open File dialog.

Just my two cents. I am really happy with how far MacMESS has come in the past year. smile

#658 05/04/05 09:24 PM
T
T
I can' t support hiding drivers. I appreciate the input but I just don't like the idea.

Also, reorienting MacMESS toward software like you suggest only makes sense for the casual player who might want to try a game on a system they know nothing about. I see that having value, but I don' see it for MacMESS.

Perhaps that ideal will be left for someone to implement after the great front end split of 2006*.

* Both Brad Oliver and Alex Eddy have plans to split MacMAME from it's Front End and Back End. When that happens custom front ends will be "easy" to create. 2006 is just a guess on when it might happen. smile

tim lindner
tlindner@macmess.org
#659 05/04/05 10:48 PM
J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
What about something like the Windows MESS GUI where there are two list panes, systems on the left and software for the currently selected system on the right.

#660 05/04/05 10:58 PM
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
The 2-pane approach makes the most sense. The setup the original poster describes only works if the software is 100% known in advance and implies the hardware. That's true for MAME and false for MESS.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (MAMEBase, Osso, 1 invisible), 21 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,941
Posts117,543
Members4,994
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com