Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MAME on Android #80524 07/19/12 02:03 AM
S
Shando Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right forum but......

Is there any recent versions of MAME/MESS available for Android?

The reason I ask is that I have been following OUYA on KickStarter and was wondering if this would be a good machine to run MAME/MESS on?

I have seen a couple of versions advertised for Android, but they seem to run old versions of MAME.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Regards

Shando

PS: I have 0.146 running on my PC and it's great smile

[url=www.lovehopestrength.org]www.lovehopestrength.org[/url]

Saving Lives One Concert At A Time
Re: MAME on Android [Re: Shando] #80525 07/19/12 03:35 AM
R
R. Belmont Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
"MAME4Droid Reloaded" is a relatively recent MAME port for the Android - I believe it's 0.138 based. The "Reloaded" is the important part - the version without that word on the end is 0.36 from 12 years ago smile

I gather it runs most 80s games reasonably well on high-end Cortex A9 chips like the Tegra 3 in the OUYA. It should really come into its own with the Cortex A15-based chips starting to appear in e.g. the non-US versions of the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Re: MAME on Android [Re: Shando] #80526 07/19/12 03:43 AM
S
Shando Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Mr B,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll take a look at "MAME4Droid Reloaded" as I think I have access to the .138 Romset smile

Regards

Shando

[url=www.lovehopestrength.org]www.lovehopestrength.org[/url]

Saving Lives One Concert At A Time
Re: MAME on Android [Re: Shando] #80559 07/20/12 07:18 PM
J
Just Desserts Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By Shando
The reason I ask is that I have been following OUYA on KickStarter and was wondering if this would be a good machine to run MAME/MESS on?

Dude, don't bother wasting your money on that over-hyped piece of junk. All it is is a frickin' phone in a box, and it's unlikely it's ever even going to come out. The Kickstarter page is just filled with marketing bullshit and absolutely nothing of any substance whatsoever.

Their promo video shows a guy with a PS3 controller playing some UI mockup offscreen at best, they've said that they have one prototype right now, and yet somehow they're going to go into full production by March? Pull the other one!

Then you have the fact that the skeevy marketdroids who are pitching the thing are telling outright lies to get people interested in it. "There will be AAA titles!" Sure, I'll bet publishers will just be falling all over themselves to port their games to a console that at best will have a userbase of at best 100k users (based on current preorder sales). Sure, it's Android, but it's not like they're not going to have to do additional work to make it compatible with the OUYA's controller and marketplace, so why on earth would any developer go through the trouble just so that they can move maybe 100k units, on a console that will be rife with piracy (it's "hacker friendly!") and that will just be another thin shard of the utterly fragmented install base of hardware that runs Android? "There will be Minecraft!" Oh, wait, that's actually a blatant lie, Notch specifically said that they might port Minecraft if it does well, and he's even expressed several serious concerns about the OUYA on his blog.

Hell, I can't even take the people making the OUYA seriously anymore since they posted a survey asking people what games they want to see on the OUYA, which included titles like "Grand Theft Auto IV", "Skyrim", "Mass Effect", "Torchlight", and "Assassin's Creed", stuff that can't ever hope to run on the OUYA - but the marketing drones know full well that a lot of people don't actually realize this, so they're just using the titles to drum up even more hype through lies. We have a word for that in America, it's called bullshit.

Let me do you a favour, mate, go over to DealExtreme or any of the other countless sites that exist for cheap Chinese knockoff stuff and pick yourself up one of the many Android-running things that can plug into your TV and already exist. Don't bother pissing away your hard-earned money on such a marketing gimmick. It's painfully obvious that they don't actually respect gamers, if they did then the Kickstarter page wouldn't read like something produced by 10 marketing dudes engaged in a massive circle-blow.

Re: MAME on Android [Re: Shando] #80574 07/21/12 02:08 PM
S
shattered Offline
S
Kinda offtopic, but MAME has been ported to Chrome's Native Client -- https://developers.google.com/native-client/community/porting/MAME

Re: MAME on Android [Re: Shando] #80585 07/22/12 03:08 AM
R
R. Belmont Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
shattered: that was some months ago, and I helped them with the port smile

Re: MAME on Android [Re: Shando] #80588 07/22/12 04:54 PM
B
billb Offline
B
@Just Desserts - best comments on OUYA I've seen smile I don't understand how anyone could think that it would succeed.

Just for fun, I tried "MAME4Droid Reloaded" on my Samsung Galaxy Proclaim (single core 1Ghz 512MB RAM) and it works well enough for some early 80's games, but it wasn't fast enough for Double Dragon. Choppy at 5-6 frame skipping.

Re: MAME on Android [Re: billb] #80593 07/22/12 11:09 PM
S
SoltanGris42 Offline
S
Quote:
@Just Desserts - best comments on OUYA I've seen smile I don't understand how anyone could think that it would succeed.

Just for fun, I tried "MAME4Droid Reloaded" on my Samsung Galaxy Proclaim (single core 1Ghz 512MB RAM) and it works well enough for some early 80's games, but it wasn't fast enough for Double Dragon. Choppy at 5-6 frame skipping.

DISCLAIMER: Anything I say about performance is suspect because I'm using a VERY beta version of CyanogenMod 10 on my US Galaxy S3 that is based on Android Jelly Bean (4.1). A lot of stuff doesn't work quite right yet, and benchmarks are lower than the stock ROM.

You should check some other newer games as well. Performance is pretty spotty. On my new US Galaxy S3 (dual core Krait cpu at 1.5GHz), Double Dragon is still not 100% speed.

But Street Fighter Alpha 3 and MvsCapcom is between 130% and 200%

So CPS2 is great.
But Neogeo has trouble staying at 100%.
Tekken Rag Tournament is 25%
1980's stuff is quite fast. Over 200% in almost all cases.
1943 is something like 300%
Alterd Beast is about 130%
Arkanoid is ~300%
Xmen (6 player) is only 65% frown
All Mortal Kombats are 60-70%

Also, it's a little slower than you'd like when the voodoo gets going, but
Like a dog walking on it's hind legs...

BTW, my (poor?) understanding was that as far as IPC on mobile processors was concerned, until we get ARM15, the Krait architecture used in the US variants of the Galaxy S3, HTC One X, HTC One S, etc was going to be the best we could get.

Anandtech Krait Preview

Don't the International versions of most of these use older (albeit quad core) Cortex A9 stuff? Shouldn't that be worse than the US variants using the newer architecture?

Last edited by SoltanGris42; 07/22/12 11:55 PM.
Re: MAME on Android [Re: Shando] #80595 07/23/12 12:12 AM
R
R. Belmont Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Right, the Krait's better IPC than A9, but presumably not as good as A15. I thought the international was the new Exynos that was both quad-core and A15, but this stuff changes so quickly I may be confusing that with something else.

Either way Tegra 3 isn't going to be optimal for this since it's plain A9. Ouya in that respect reminds me of the Pandora - it was competitive at the minute it was announced, but even if it meets its ship targets it's going to be hilariously outgunned by then. (And of course Pandora missed those targets by over a year, at which point an 800 MHz OMAP3 is really boring).

Last edited by R. Belmont; 07/23/12 12:15 AM.
Re: MAME on Android [Re: Shando] #80605 07/23/12 10:05 AM
Vas Crabb Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
"Tekken Rag Tournament" lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Olivier Galibert), 43 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,812
Posts115,979
Members4,914
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020