Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#83049 12/07/12 12:11 PM
D
dave1z Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Ok, I'm officially confused now! I bit the bullet and compiled the latest sources and have the following problem. It seems that all my chd images won't work with .147. Is there something I have missed since my last dable with mess? .144 works fine, and I always retain a copy of my prior builds before committing to the latest one, so I'm not desperate, but I would like to know what I have to do to get my old drive images to work again with .147.

Oh yeah, the same thing happens with my mac images.

Thanks in advance!

A
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
May you have to upgrade the CHD format of your Harddisk images to v5.

Example:
chdman.exe copy -i ti99.chd -o ti99new.chd
or
chdman.exe copy -c none -i ti99.hd -o ti99new.hd

Of course, in this case you need a newer version of chdman.

D
dave1z Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Ana Wu you are a God send. Thank you. I remember having to do this before in the distant past, but ... getting old I guess!

Thanks again!

A
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
If you want create new images maybe this posting will be helpful.

D
dave1z Offline OP
OP Offline
D
OK, I now have the TI-99/4a stuff working, but the Geneve doesn't seem to like the v5 converted images. It keeps complaining that the Load/SYS etc isn't present, when it is! Any ideas?

A
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
Not know which images and its contents do you use.
The v5 format should work with the current Geneve driver.

Try this bootable image > DL
I think the content will have no any copyright violations.
Donīt forget to use the right slot! See my previous link.

Use the TIImageTool to transfer files.

M
M
Hi dave,

the LOAD/SYS file must be put into a directory called DSK1 on the hard disk, i.e. in MDOS you'll have a file E:\DSK1\LOAD/SYS while the SYSTEM/SYS must be in the root directory.

The background is that the system looks for the file DSK1.LOAD/SYS which means a file LOAD/SYS on floppy drive 1. If it fails, it re-tries with the directory E:\DSK1. That way it is possible to use programs on the hard disk that expect their files on DSK1 only.

If you have more questions you can contact me by mail.

Michael

A
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
Originally Posted By mizapf
Hi dave,

the LOAD/SYS file must be put into a directory called DSK1 on the hard disk, i.e. in MDOS you'll have a file E:\DSK1\LOAD/SYS while the SYSTEM/SYS must be in the root directory.

The background is that the system looks for the file DSK1.LOAD/SYS which means a file LOAD/SYS on floppy drive 1. If it fails, it re-tries with the directory E:\DSK1. That way it is possible to use programs on the hard disk that expect their files on DSK1 only.

If you have more questions you can contact me by mail.

Michael

Just a screenshot.

D
dave1z Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Michael,
What happened was that I converted a v4 disk image to a v5 one. Prior to conversion the disk was bootable, but afterwards it is not. I can view it's contents with MDM while emulating the TI-99/4a, so I know it's contents weren't completely hosed. I hope I don't have to start from scratch an recreate a 128mb Geneve HD just to use 0.147! Seems the more I look at 0.147, the more I think I'll just regress to 0.144 where everything was working. Thanks for your reply though.

Dave

M
M
Hi Dave,

regressing back to an earlier version is almost always a bad idea. Even worse, when I find more issues and repair them, you will not be able to enjoy the fixed features. And I will certainly not backport fixes in an earlier version.

1. Just tested: The Geneve emulation is working perfectly under 0.147 here, together with hard disk emulation. So there is no general problem with the emulation.

2. Your converted hard disk is most likely still bootable. It is not a matter of chdman or other MESS tools. So if you can still read the hard disk with MDM on the TI it should still work. Try TIImageTool and browse through your converted hard disk, have a look at the files.

3. The command line and the configuration have *heavily* changed with 0.145. Have you made sure that you adapted your start-up scripts or configurations within frontends?

See in particular http://www.ninerpedia.org/index.php/MESS_TI_emulation_usage

Most importantly, you do not have any default disk controller in the system anymore. You must plug in the HFDC controller. A proper startup line should look like this:

Code:
./mess64 geneve -peb:slot8 hfdc -hard1 /home/michael/mess/disks/hd/scsi2.hd $*

Michael

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Golden Child, 2 invisible), 20 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,086
Posts119,083
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com