Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
dave1z Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Michael,
I have checked and double checked and the Geneve problems persist on a hd that has been converted to ver5 via chdman. The ver4 hd works flawlessly under 0.144 but when "upgraded" becomes unbootable. I have adjusted the command line used to start the system with no joy. As far as the Geneve is concerned, I see no benefits to using 0.147 over 0.144 versus the effort that seems to be needed to get it to work. I thank you for your quick response though and I will look to a possible upgrade with future versions that may provide more "bang for the buck" if you know what I mean.

Dave

By the way, just to let you know it isn't only my Geneve hd images that have had trouble with the latest version of mess. My Mac hds also ceased to work after having been fixed with chdman. They work fine with 0.144 and ver4 hds, don't work with 0.147 and ver5 hds.

Last edited by dave1z; 12/11/12 08:07 AM.
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By dave1z
By the way, just to let you know it isn't only my Geneve hd images that have had trouble with the latest version of mess. My Mac hds also ceased to work after having been fixed with chdman. They work fine with 0.144 and ver4 hds, don't work with 0.147 and ver5 hds.

which command line parameters did you use in the update to ver5?

A
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
Maybe he doesn´t use the "-c none" option to make the Harddisk images writeable by using the uncompressed format?

L
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
L
when converting chds using 'chdman copy ...', in order for the resulting chds to be writable by mess, you need to specify '-c none' on the commandline.
If you have already converted them without this, you can just do 'chdman copy -c none alreadyconverted.chd uncompressed.chd' and it will decompress it so uncompressed.chd is usable for writing.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
M
M
Hi dave,

please try to boot with a floppy disk; attach the hard disk at runtime with the MESS on-screen menu (File manager -> Harddisk 1). Type "DIR HDS1." and see whether the hard disk can be read.

As I said, there is no particular reason why your hard disk should not be bootable with 0.147. I am using the same image for a long time and my Geneve *does* boot (after I converted my image).

The fact that you experience problems with other emulations seems to be an indication that something is wrong with the conversion.

Check your image with chdman:

Code:
chdman info -i disks/hd/harddisk.hd 
chdman - MAME Compressed Hunks of Data (CHD) manager 0.147u3 (Dec 11 2012)
Input file:   disks/hd/harddisk.hd
File Version: 5
Logical size: 260,046,848 bytes
Hunk Size:    4,096 bytes
Total Hunks:  63,488
Unit Size:    256 bytes
Total Units:  1,015,808
Compression:  none
CHD size:     240,185,344 bytes
Metadata:     Tag='GDDD'  Index=0  Length=35 bytes
              CYLS:1984,HEADS:16,SECS:32,BPS:256.

As for your expectations for future releases there will be probably only minor things, since the emulation of the TI and Geneve family is already pretty complete. However, with 0.145 I have done a major rewrite of the CPUs with a proper READY handling, so we can achieve a better timing emulation (with the exception of the wait states during a memory access which I hope to add in the next weeks).

Nevertheless, there is always a chance that I discover errors in the code which get fixed with the next release. So if you manage to get your hard disk converted, again, I recommend to upgrade.

Michael

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (hap, Reznor007, box, 1 invisible), 26 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,086
Posts119,083
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com