Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
wow!
I'm very impressed with the progress of the GBA driver and want thank everyone envolved with this smile
I'm sure that MESS is near to best emulation for this driver, only some graphical problems that's affecting some drivers don't cork the awesome work that being done!
Thanks smile

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By Christina
wow!
I'm very impressed with the progress of the GBA driver and want thank everyone envolved with this smile
I'm sure that MESS is near to best emulation for this driver, only some graphical problems that's affecting some drivers don't cork the awesome work that being done!
Thanks smile

No, the GBA driver is quite far from being perfect. There are a bunch of games with issues, including quite a number of popular ones (like the Castlevania series). Worse, it's going to be pretty tough to iron these issues out.

A
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
Almost each emulation is far away to be perfect. smile

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Did you tested things like:
- Sonic Advance series
- Sonic Genesis: Aniversary edition
- Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
- Drill Dozer
- Racing Gears Advance
- Iridion
- Dragon Ball Z - The Legend of Goku

Or any game from NES classic (Famicom MINI) series?

Also, GBA driver doesn't run e-cards yet (although recent work from etabeta with combined carts in genesis bring hope to this kind of support come to GBA any day in future wink )

The progress, of course, may come someday, but don't hold your breath...

"A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it's not that good."
L
L
For the e-cards, AFAIK the current emulators that support them just skip the hardware check. MESS implementation of the e-card reader would probably involve accurately responding to each check.

More info on the e-card dotcodes and reader here: http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#gbacartereader

Pokemon Sapphire, last time I checked, had a particularly bad title screen glitch.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
due to ARM timing issues it is impossible for the current code to start vblank at the correct point without glitches.
current driver hacks this around by anticipating the vblank at a value which let Rare games to play, and most EA sport games to only have the bottom of the screen glitched instead of most of the screen

a bunch of (minor) games results unplayable though with this choice...

from gba.c:

Quote:
// FIXME: some games are very picky with this trigger!
// * Mario & Luigi SuperStar Saga loses pieces of gfx for 225-227.
// * Driver 2 does not work with values > 217.
// * Prince of Persia Sands of Time, Rayman Hoodlum's Revenge, Rayman 3 breaks for large
// values (say > 200, but exact threshold varies).
// * Scooby-Doo Unmasked and Mystery Mayhem have problems with large values (missing dialogue
// text).
// * Nicktoons Racign does not start with 227; and it resets before going to the race with
// values > 206.
// * Phil of Future does not start for values > 221.
// * Sabrina Teenage Witch does not even reach the Ubi Soft logo if we use the VBL exit value
// 227; it does not display title screen graphics when using 225-226; the intro is broken
// with anything between 207-224.
// * Anstoss Action and Ueki no Housoku have broken graphics for values > 223.
// However, taking smaller values breaks raster effects in a LOT of games (e.g. Castlevania
// series, Final Fantasy series, Tales of Phantasia, Banjo Pilot, NES 'collections' by Hudson,
// Jaleco and Technos, plus tons of racing games, which show garbage in the lower half of the
// screen with smaller values).
// Already choosing 224 instead of 227 makes some glitches to appear in the bottom scanlines.
// Other test cases are EA Sport games (like FIFA or Madden) which have various degrees of
// glitchness depending on the value used here.
// More work on IRQs is definitely necessary!

The Famicom games instead cannot basically work with current CPU core...

D
D
MESS is the one that I trust the most. =)

Windows 10 Home 64-bit / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 16 GB
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By Dullaron
MESS is the one that I trust the most. =)

Yeah!
Me too!

And I finished Harmony of Dissonance 100% in MESS.
Just few graphical problems that, aven a little annoying don't

"A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it's not that good."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 25 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,100
Posts119,241
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com