Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#87420 03/31/13 11:44 PM
S
ssj Offline OP
OP Offline
S
From all the games I've tested this seems to be the only one not working properly on MESS, game just keeps resetting to the main screen after starting it.
I don't know if this is a known bug or not, but just wanted to point it out in case anyone wants to have a look at it. Game works fine under Prosystem, it was actually the only emu I could run the game in so there's probably something very particular on it.

S
S
There was an old bugzilla report for this but is now no longer there. That's great everything else is working, maybe this one is just a bad dump.

*** Wait scratch that after a bit of research, this cart still works in mess version 0.89.

Last edited by Skito; 04/03/13 11:47 AM.

HARP
-skito
H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
well it could be the image was hacked for another emulator back in the day, knowing if the same image works on real hardware would be a bonus.

it's likely some bug fix for something else, or an attempted cleanup broke it tho, it could well be a useful edge case.

unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with the a7800 driver to give you any better feedback.

the behavior certainly looks odd tho, even if you select 2 players it just loops the 1 player start screen, with the time increasing each time.. maybe a CPU bug or some kind of Pokey based protection like some arcades have? (although these home systems are typically so fussy it could be anything)

H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
ah

it works if you set the 'RIGHT DIFFICULTY SWITCH' in the dipswitch menus to 'A' instead of 'B'

make of that what you will, I don't know what those things represent on the real system, but maybe it would fail in the same way?

The manual I have clearly states:

Quote:

4. Before playing the game, make sure that both difficulty switches are in the right position.

Changing that switch on the right acts like an arcade "Rack Test" switch and allows you to skip early levels for later levels. If you notice each time it starts the level name changes which would also make sense the timer changes too. Just leave it on until you reach the level you want to start on, switch back to the right position and you can start your game there. No Bugs, intended behavior.

H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
well I'd say the default values are questionable then, but maybe this game is just an exception and uses inverted logic compared to other things.

if the switch is on the carts the softlist should be able to specify the defaults somehow tho shouldn't it? or is that still not possible?

if it's on the mainboard it gets a bit messier, and is really one of those cases where you'd want to be able to put displayable usage instructions up by default because it really does just look broken at the moment.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
difficulty switches are on the console. front panel, close to the joystick plugs (hidden in many pics by the top case)

they got inherited by the a2600 where a lot of game used them to make harder/easier the gameplay
most a7800 games do not use them

this is all I know about them (e.g. I have no idea what the default should be)

S
ssj Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Interesting find about the difficulty switches, I can't test on real hardware only thing I can say is that the game works fine on ProSystem so maybe it uses different default values.

Knowing that now, I found this that verifies what Tafoid said:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/85542-switches-on-the-front-of-the-7800/

Also seems only a handful of 7800 games make use of them so I guess the defaults could be changed, but then again right is Hard for 2600 games.

Is there any way to specify the swicthes position through CLI?

S
S
I don't see how to see what the dipswitch is set to in mess 0.89, the gameplay seems a bit faster (with right dipswitch A) in mess 0.148 and comparing side by side the clock goes slower in 0.89.

What I now remember from my memory of the bugzilla page is that someone did identify a regression in version 0.90, my memory fails me if it was true 7800 fix or something external to a7800.

HARP
-skito
M
M
The default position for the 7800 difficulty switches is the left position. At least that's where most games want them.
Tower Toppler and Missing in Action both have the "rack advance" feature.

Mitch

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Revenant, nerd4gw, Pernod), 18 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,100
Posts119,249
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com