Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Chris44 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Apologies if this post is miscategorized. Haven't used this forum in over a year.

I'm parting company with a Xerox 16/8 pseudo compatible. It's a real weirdo. It's the bigger brother if you will to the 820-II. It has a number of firmware chips, and I figured it would be a shame to let it go w/o saving their contents. Off the top of my head I don't know what type/s they are, I'll have to dismantle it (partially). But my programmer is busted. I need a really easy cheap way to extract the data. The unit isn't even 100percent functional. So I will need something I can build, make that slap together in.an hour or so, with commonly available parts. If I sat down I could likely figure out how to implement one, but I don't really have the time, and I would think something real easy is already out there. Yes googled but nothing popped up early in the search.

Maybe these rom images already exist. If so that info would be helpful.

In any case please e-mail me directly - rampaging green hulk at yahoo dot com

- remove spaces and substitute appropriate symbols. Thanks!

L
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
L
You can use an arduino UNO (*Not* the duo which is 3.3v only!) as an eprom reader in a pinch; you may need an 8 bit latch to latch the high address bits to go to the eprom.

LN

Last edited by Lord Nightmare; 05/08/13 09:09 AM. Reason: add note about not using the arduino duo since its inputs/outputs are 3.3v only

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
P
P
Assuming there's nothing smaller than a 2716 inside, either of these may suffice:

http://www.sm0vpo.com/left_eprom.htm

http://dsaprojects.orgfree.com/electronics/eprom/eprommer.html

You can also use a Teensy++ (~15), a few wires and a few 74xxx chips smile

C
Chris44 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
What about swapping out roms on some old isa card? The eprom should be visible, even if the card won't obviously function?

You shouldn't need anything on the board (for safety I'd pull any socketed chips, so as not to allow a renegade rom to wreak havoc, although that's very far fetched I imagine), like micros, coprocs, etc., IOW whatever makes the board work, right? The rom socket on any board is directly hooked up to local bus of host box, or might I have to run jumpers to allow the rom to be visible to the host micro??

Come on guys put your thunking caps on.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Depends on the card type. In a *lot* of cases, the ROM is not visible to the host PC, only to a CPU/MCU or other device on the card.

Anyway, depending where you're located someone might be able to dump it for you. Or if you're "parting company" as in throwing it away you might be able to just send it to someone with a working reader.

This supposedly works pretty well for network cards which have a boot ROM socket. I doubt it'll work on some random ISA card.

Problem is that it only works for ROMs with the exact same size (okay, maybe smaller ROMs could work) and pinout. Plug in any random ROM and chances are you either destroy your ROM, your ISA card, or both. I would advise against doing this if you don't know exactly what you're doing smile

L
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
L
If you have an isa card like an old 3com nic which places its boot rom at c0000-c7fff or c8000-c9fff or ca000-cbfff or cc000-cffff or something, you can dump it using msdos debug, see http://www.mess.org/dumping/dump_bios_using_debug
and use the 'dump rom-bios extensions' instructions.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
R
R
If you search ebay for Top USB Programmer, you'll find some nice and affordable programmers.

I bought a Top3000 some time ago, and it's really worth it! For simple roms, maybe the Top853 may be the best choice.

Last edited by robcfg; 05/08/13 08:48 PM.
C
Chris44 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I've taken a look at the manual types as one person posted. This could work, with a video camera, but only as long as the dialing up of memory locals is automated. Or I can find an empty socket on one of the few working peecees I have left (5160 mobo doesn't even work).
No I didn't intend to plug any old rom into any old socket. I just hoped the socket was intended to house a chip large enough for the largest roms I have.
Not throwing the unit out. Selling it, though flawed cosmetically and otherwise, for a paltry 150$. I've seen them go for far more. I feel I'm making a mistake, given it's rarity, but *still* too much stuff, too little space, and too few pesos in my satchel. I just wish I figure this out in time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (mixmaster, R. Belmont, 2 invisible), 27 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,973
Posts117,882
Members5,001
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com