Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
R
R
Is this the Battlestar Galactica game?
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Mattel/Battlestar.htm

I recall Sea Duel being a surprisingly complex game.

D
D
I be willing to play that game. smile

Windows 10 Home 64-bit / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 16 GB
S
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
S
Originally Posted By ranger_lennier
Is this the Battlestar Galactica game?
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Mattel/Battlestar.htm

Yup, that's it. I've got a good composite of the die (Rockwell B6001AE), but I don't know the physical-to-logical mapping of the ROM array. I can make some guesses based off the F8 3851, Sharp SM-511 and TI TMS-1100, but I had both chips and ROM dumps for those 3, and only the chip in this case. I found a patent for a calculator/black jack game that might use the same chip, and it includes the source and object code. It's similar to the Rockwell PPS-4, but I don't think it's the same.

W
W
Ha, I had Space Alert when I was in elementary school.

S
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
S
I dumped Paul's TMS-1100 Connect 4: www.seanriddle.com/connect4.bin

I took took pics of Sea Duel and Cosmic Hunter, so as soon as I transcribe them, that'll be all of the known carts.

S
ssj Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks Sean, a full microvision set is now almost a reality thanks to your efforts.
Do you know if Paul ever looked into the Baseball issue on his emulator?

S
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
S
Thanks. I'd be in the same boat as I am with the Battlestar Galactica game if Kevtris hadn't figured out how to dump the TMS-1100; I've got all the bits, but don't know how to arrange them. Looking at the address decoding circuitry is daunting. I hope the Blackjack/Calculator I bought off ebay has the same chip, and its code matches the patent.

I uploaded Sea Duel and Cosmic Hunter. I'm going to double-check Pinball, update the raw dumps file, and call it a day.

www.seanriddle.com/seaduel.bin
www.seanriddle.com/cosmichunter.bin

Actually, I named all the ROM files the same as the game, instead of the part # on the chip (and die). Here's the translation:
Blockbuster MP3450A
Phaser Strike MP3454
Pinball MP3455
Mindbuster MP3457
Vegas Slots MP3474
Bowling MP3475
Baseball MP3479
Connect 4 MP3481
Sea Duel MP3496
Alien Raiders M34009
Cosmic Hunter M34017
Super Blockbuster M34047

Last edited by seanriddle; 03/17/14 12:22 AM.
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
I've added Cosmic Hunter and Sea Duel, and all the part numbers, to the software list.

Tried out both games, they seem to do whatever they are supposed to, no clue how to play them.

S
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
S
Originally Posted By ssj
Do you know if Paul ever looked into the Baseball issue on his emulator?

I think he's busy on the next Retrochallenge, but I bet he fixes it eventually. And now that all the carts are dumped, he can add support for the new ones at the same time.

I haven't installed the development environment he uses, but I hex-edited his exe to run the new carts: www.seanriddle.com/mvem.zip
I had to create 4 exes to run all the carts. Read the readme.txt for details.

I found an extra 1-bit in Pinball; the file in mvem.zip is the corrected one.

He had different paddle timing in Pinball, so I used that for Baseball, and now you can swing, but I always get out. Maybe there's still a bad bit?

I updated the file with the raw dumps and the pics of the ROMs: www.seanriddle.com/mvraw.zip

Last edited by seanriddle; 03/17/14 09:27 AM.
P
P
Plans to do it tomorrow - we have everything now. There's at least one bug because Sea Duel displays the stars and stripes (sort of) on the title screen and it isn't. Most of the rest is putting in checksums and tweaking the paddles.

Spent time looking at the Galactica ROM trying to make sense of it. I have enough data from the Blackjack / Calculator patent and the "Auto Race prototype" patent (B6100 and B6001 chips) to guesstimate what the instruction set is - this is working on the idea that there's a lot of commonality between the two, which I know there is physically - like the relationship between the TMS1000 and TMS1100. Hopefully without too much reorganisation of the instruction set smile

If not there is literally nothing useful on the web at all about the B6001 - the Mattel Autorace prototype is the only thing that has any detail at all, and that's small, and the original author doesn't remember much unfortunately. If enough of the guesswork is right, and Sean can use the Blackjack game to figure out the layout, then the rest can be deduced, I think.

Last edited by PaulRobson; 03/17/14 09:38 AM.
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Augusto, 1 invisible), 20 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,086
Posts119,088
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com