Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
Hi everyone,

I am working on a project that requires some great Atari system1 style speech-- so I have several LPC files ready to go which I have successfully had spoken via a win994a TI-99/4a emulator... Unfortunately the quality of that isn't so good when I compare it to the speech clips in the various Atari games.

I noticed Mame has a tms5220.c file in the project, and was wondering if there is a recommended way that I can just interface with its api and send the byte stream directly to it and get audio out? Or maybe there's a better way via MESS (which I just installed).

Is there a convenient way to use the 5220 emulation to stream samples converted to LPC?

Thanks!

Patrick J. Collins
L
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
L
In theory, the "pes" driver in mess should allow you direct serial playback from serial(diserial?) input to speech output using the tms5220c; in practice this doesn't yet work, IIRC, some code is missing. I'll look into it later today.
As it is you can type stuff and you'll get random gibberish out the audio for every 10 or so bytes you type.

The PES driver is for the Pacific Educational Systems 'speech box', an rs232-to-tms5220c interface box. See http://blog.kevtris.org/?p=3

Scott M. Savage (inventor of the 'speakjet' pic18f1320-based speech chip) was selling the guts of one of the PES boxes on ebay a while back: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TSP5220CNL-Based...r-/271302556165

TSP5220c == TMS5220c

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
P
OP Offline
P
Interesting... I also happen to have an actual Echo ][ speech synthesizer card for the Apple ][ which has onboard a real TMS5220. I'm wondering if there's a way I could just interface with that directly, but google provides absolutely no information on the Echo card's specs so I have no idea how to go about that... It would be really nice to use real hardware over emulation though.

The other thought I had is, would it be possible to dissect the roms of an atari game like Gauntlet, and find a place where LPC bytes are stored, and just swap that out with my LPC bytes? Then I could just use M1 or something to play the speech... What do you think of that idea?

Patrick J. Collins
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
The Echo ][ has no external speech ROMs, it strictly uses the 5220's built-in phonemes.

Your best bet is either to make your own driver with ROMs interfaced to a 5220 or breadboard a real one connected to an Arduino or whatever.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
The Echo ][ has no external speech ROMs, it strictly uses the 5220's built-in phonemes.

I don't think that's right-- Listen to the speech at 2:00 here:

http://apple2info.net/images/0/02/EchoWordsDemo.mp3

Clearly they are streaming LPC to the 5220 there...

Patrick J. Collins
L
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
L
That's what arbee meant: it doesn't use any VSM type serial roms like the TI 99/4a and exelvision did, but uses purely streamed TI PE-LPC frame data from the appleII to produce sound. Gauntlet does the same thing.

The TI-99/4a and exelvision use VSM roms AND do external streaming as well.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
P
OP Offline
P
Ok-- so then I should be able to take my LPC data and send it to the echo II and get the results that I am looking for... Does anyone here know how to do that? Like how would I find out what address to send the data to? I didn't see any information like that in the echo II manual.

Patrick J. Collins
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I wrote the Echo ][ emulation in MESS (as well as about 95% of the Apple II series everything).

Writes to C0n0 are the 5220 data port, reads have the 5220 talk status, buffer low, and buffer empty in bits 7, 6, and 5 respectively.

If you're unfamiliar with Apple II usage, "n" is the slot number plus 8.

P
OP Offline
P
I recognize that Mame is not technically opensource, but if I were to want to use the tms5220.c code in my project, how would I go about getting permission to do so?

Patrick J. Collins
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
The tms5220 is, to my knowledge, Lord Nightmare's code. So you'd ask him to multiple-license it if you want to use it outside the terms of the stock MAME license (which is basically that you can't use it commercially but most other things are OK).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (r09), 36 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,836
Posts116,222
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020