Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R. Belmont #92880 02/13/14 12:07 AM
S
smf Offline
S
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Yeah, you're about 50 years too late to try and make a dent in *that* one. About all that's left is for the formal definition to catch up with usage.

I'm more interested in the history of it than actually changing it, but if one person can get it right then my work is done :-)

I picked up a misuse of imply/infer on tv the other day and that did make me cringe.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/10/imply-or-infer/

Originally Posted By Dr.Venom
As a non-native English speaker I had the impression that it was a "stronger" form of "raises the question", say almost something along the lines of "this screams for the question to be asked".

Yes, that is a common mistake. I'm not sure which is worse though, getting the usage wrong or the fake indignation that usually goes along with the question.

Someone feels so strongly about it's use they registered a domain for it

http://begthequestion.info/

And if you're stuck for a gift idea http://www.cafepress.com/begthequestion

(although the BTQ thong is just wrong)

Last edited by smf; 02/13/14 12:19 AM.
Dr.Venom #92881 02/13/14 12:25 AM
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
There can be only one most infuriating common grammar error.

(Actually, it'd be nice if there were only one).

R. Belmont #92883 02/13/14 02:09 AM
S
smf Offline
S

(Actually, it'd be nice if there were only one).

I see your apostrophe and raise you a quotation mark.

http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/

"ok"

R. Belmont #92886 02/13/14 09:30 AM
J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J

No shit. Just unpacking my stuff that arrived in Sweden yesterday has been making me rage, because every box I open I'm assaulted with "computer game's", "cable's", "book's", and so on. Fffffuuuuuuuuuu...

Just Desserts #92889 02/13/14 11:35 AM
J
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By Just Desserts

No shit. Just unpacking my stuff that arrived in Sweden yesterday has been making me rage, because every box I open I'm assaulted with "computer game's", "cable's", "book's", and so on. Fffffuuuuuuuuuu...

Including the quotation marks? smile

judge #92890 02/13/14 01:01 PM
J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By judge

I was quoting the writing on the box. Justified use of quote marks.

Just Desserts #92891 02/13/14 06:52 PM
S
smf Offline
S
Originally Posted By Just Desserts
Originally Posted By judge

I was quoting the writing on the box. Justified use of quote marks.

"sure"

Dr.Venom #92897 02/14/14 03:21 AM
W
W
Reminds me of this SNL skit: http://youtu.be/s_cAS-mvV20

couriersud #94746 06/19/14 09:45 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi Couriersud,

I've been making some more comparisons between ay8910 noise from real MSX and MESS and came to the conclusion that although very comparable, the noise sounds generated by MESS seem to miss some of the dynamics / "crispiness" of the real MSX.

I've tried to generate a good example of this, which unfortunately isn't easy, but hopefully the next one brings it across well enough.

It's a 4 second recording of the choppersound from the MSX game H.E.R.O. (a classic smile ), versus the same recording in MESS. In the audio sample the first 4 second part is from the real MSX and the second part is from MESS.

Please download soundsample here: http://www.filedropper.com/heronoisecomparison

If you listen to it a few times, you'll (hopefully) notice how the real MSX sound is more well defined, and the MESS emulation is sounding more "mushy" (for lack of a better word).
To me this is exemplary for most of the MSX noise emulation.

I've added the audiogram comparison in the picture below. It shows how the real MSX has more dynamics, versus the MESS part which is looking like a block diagram, cut-off at the bottom.

I'm hoping that a netlist implementation would improve this by some margin. I remember you had (or were working on) a preliminary / test implementation for an msx netlist based on the spectravideo schematics (referring to this post). Would it be a possibility that we could test that implementation, just to see how it would impact the current example?

Hopefully this can provide a good objective testcase to get the MSX / ay8910 sound emulation another step ahead.

Last edited by Dr.Venom; 06/19/14 09:51 AM.
Dr.Venom #94747 06/19/14 05:37 PM
J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By Dr.Venom
Hi Couriersud,

I've been making some more comparisons between ay8910 noise from real MSX and MESS and came to the conclusion that although very comparable, the noise sounds generated by MESS seem to miss some of the dynamics / "crispiness" of the real MSX.

I've tried to generate a good example of this, which unfortunately isn't easy, but hopefully the next one brings it across well enough.

It's a 4 second recording of the choppersound from the MSX game H.E.R.O. (a classic smile ), versus the same recording in MESS. In the audio sample the first 4 second part is from the real MSX and the second part is from MESS.

Please download soundsample here: http://www.filedropper.com/heronoisecomparison

If you listen to it a few times, you'll (hopefully) notice how the real MSX sound is more well defined, and the MESS emulation is sounding more "mushy" (for lack of a better word).
To me this is exemplary for most of the MSX noise emulation.

I've added the audiogram comparison in the picture below. It shows how the real MSX has more dynamics, versus the MESS part which is looking like a block diagram, cut-off at the bottom.

I'm hoping that a netlist implementation would improve this by some margin. I remember you had (or were working on) a preliminary / test implementation for an msx netlist based on the spectravideo schematics (referring to this post). Would it be a possibility that we could test that implementation, just to see how it would impact the current example?

Hopefully this can provide a good objective testcase to get the MSX / ay8910 sound emulation another step ahead.

Sounds like there's some analog magic that needs to be emulated. There are many "real MSX" machines, so can you tell us specifically which machine it was recorded on, and can you provide schematics for said machine? smile

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Vas Crabb), 20 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,086
Posts119,088
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com