> also, I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by...
I should have left that part out as it only made it more unclear. I intentionally used a wrong hashpath to verify if MESS reads the INI. Ignore it > can you post the exact command line options you use and the
> content of your mess.ini (the "CORE SEARCH PATH OPTIONS" part
> is enough)?
Sure! Here are the steps I take to try get it to run.
1) I install the binary from the official MAME page.
2) I change the name of the hash folder to hash2
3) I open a command prompt in WinXP and go to the directory which contains MESS.EXE
4) I create a MESS.INI by typing: mess -cc
5) I edit the MESS.INI file to point the hashpath towards hash2:
# CORE SEARCH PATH OPTIONS
rompath romshashpath hash2
6) I place a working rom (EG: mario.zip) in the roms or roms/nes folder.
7) I type the following command: mess nes mario
I was mistaken, 0.149b is giving me the same error. So this is probably on my end then, but what is it.