Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
OP Offline
C
GBA driver is nowdays at a better state than some years ago. Recently it had some fast improvements, but it not perfect yet, even the hardware is completly understood and it have good dumps for it.
My question is: what's missing in the development point?

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
I think that the major problems regarding GBA driver is the video timing issues. I don't think that any dev is working on it right now, then don't hold your breath for progress with the driver.
But there's a good news...
There's a lot of games that run well in the driver, then the driver can be appreciated until then wink

"A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it's not that good."
S
S
Go here.

D
D
I can't get the link to load.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 16 GB
S
S
The site is down.. in fact it looks like the retrogames.com main page is down too (though strangely not NonMAME). I guess we'll have to wait for them to resolve their hosting issue (which lately seems like an annual event).

ETA: I've emailed Lev, we'll see...

Last edited by Shoegazer; 03/17/14 11:59 PM.
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Dullaron: that page just says that you shouldn't use MESS for GBA, you aren't missing anything.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
NonMame is down too smirk

"A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it's not that good."
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
anyway, as already said, the problem is CPU timing, which is not correct in many instances, causing all kind of glitches in some of the games.

it all boils down to which games you want to play: some work as well as in VBA, some just die or have the screen completely broken.

for instance, Super Mario Advance games all work perfectly, Rare games are OK, and EA sport games have sometimes corruption at the bottom of the screen but are otherwise playable. I think most Pokemon games work as well, but I never played them extensively in MESS.
OTOH, Mario & Luigi is broken, Sonic Advance is slow as hell and some other games freezes after the title screen

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By etabeta78
anyway, as already said, the problem is CPU timing, which is not correct in many instances, causing all kind of glitches in some of the games.

it all boils down to which games you want to play: some work as well as in VBA, some just die or have the screen completely broken.

for instance, Super Mario Advance games all work perfectly, Rare games are OK, and EA sport games have sometimes corruption at the bottom of the screen but are otherwise playable. I think most Pokemon games work as well, but I never played them extensively in MESS.
OTOH, Mario & Luigi is broken, Sonic Advance is slow as hell and some other games freezes after the title screen

Understood.
The difference between some games like Super Mario Advance runs smoothy and others like Sonic advance don't is purely due the intensive use of CPU timing of these titles?
This also aplies to graphics problems too (such Drill Dozer)?

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
I don't remember if I ever found what the exact problem in Sonic Advance is, but at least 99% of the gfx glitches are related to the CPU timing. Changing the moment at which the VBlank interrupt occurs helps with some games but consistently breaks other games (you can check

http://git.redump.net/mame/tree/src/mess/drivers/gba.c

lines 2005-2026 to get a glimpse of what I mean), but none of such changes would be a real fix. We would need to have the CPU and other components to be in the "correct state" when the interrupt occur, and we don't have that yet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Augusto), 24 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,100
Posts119,241
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com