Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Happy Offline OP
OP Offline
H
How to get MIPS registers working.

The debugger does not seem to appreciate/understand the '$' symbol in register names. Typing 'print $at' will result in an error 'invalid number'. To remedy the situation, edit the file /src/emu/cpu/mips/mips3com.c

In function 'mips3com_get_info' at lines 575-606 change

Code:
	case CPUINFO_STR_REGISTER + MIPS3_R1:           sprintf(info->s, "  $at: %08X%08X", (UINT32)(mips->r[1] >> 32), (UINT32)mips->r[1]); break;

to

Code:
	case CPUINFO_STR_REGISTER + MIPS3_R1:           sprintf(info->s, "  at: %08X%08X", (UINT32)(mips->r[1] >> 32), (UINT32)mips->r[1]); break;

Simply delete the '$' symbol from each register name and then in the debugger you can use expressions 'at = 5', 'print at' and so on.

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Sorry, I thought you had something more substantial when I suggested making a thread about it. Yes, that hack does work, but it's a hack: The MIPS ABI is rather clear about register names being prepended with $.

H
Happy Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I realize that it is a hack, which I why I hesitated to make a post. However, if desperate to be able to work with MIPS this is a reasonably small alteration. The disassembler has its own string table for the registers and the disassembly still displays with the '$at' register names. I am still trying to figure out why the '$' symbol trips up the debugger parsing.

I also have looked into why the 'source' command does not work. So far I have found that somewhere between the call to 'process_source_file' and the first lines of the function 'process_source_file', 'global->execution_state == EXECUTION_STATE_STOPPED' ceases to be true.

Code:

while (global->execution_state == EXECUTION_STATE_STOPPED)
		{
			// flush any pending updates before waiting again
			machine.debug_view().flush_osd_updates();

// clear the memory modified flag and wait
			global->memory_modified = false;
			if (machine.debug_flags & DEBUG_FLAG_OSD_ENABLED)
				machine.osd().wait_for_debugger(m_device, firststop);
			else if (machine.debug_flags & DEBUG_FLAG_ENABLED)
				debugint_wait_for_debugger(m_device, firststop);
			firststop = false;

// if something modified memory, update the screen
			if (global->memory_modified)
			{
				machine.debug_view().update_all(DVT_DISASSEMBLY);
				debugger_refresh_display(m_device.machine());
			}

// check for commands in the source file
			process_source_file(m_device.machine());

// if an event got scheduled, resume
			if (machine.scheduled_event_pending())
				global->execution_state = EXECUTION_STATE_RUNNING;
		}

and the function

Code:

static void process_source_file(running_machine &machine)
{
	debugcpu_private *global = machine.debugcpu_data;

/* loop until the file is exhausted or until we are executing again */
	while (global->source_file != NULL)  && global->execution_state == EXECUTION_STATE_STOPPED) 

I am still trying to work out the structure and design of the debugger to understand what can change the execution_state during this process.

S
smf Offline
S
Originally Posted By Just Desserts
Sorry, I thought you had something more substantial when I suggested making a thread about it. Yes, that hack does work, but it's a hack: The MIPS ABI is rather clear about register names being prepended with $.

Can you point out where that is as I can't find any MIPS manuals that use $ in register names.

They are pretty unclear on the assembler syntax too as they always list the syntax with rs/rt/rd. However there are a couple of samples in the manual, which don't use $

SW R2, (r3) # uncached store
NOP # NOP 1
NOP # NOP 2
NOP # NOP 3
NOP # NOP 4
NOP # NOP 5
NOP # NOP 6
NOP # NOP 7
SW R2, (R3) # uncached store

They stopped using the at/v0 etc names for registers by the r4400 manual. They aren't listed at all anywhere.

Two of the CPU general purpose registers have assigned functions:
r0 is hardwired to a value of zero, and can be used as the target register for any instruction whose result is to be discarded. r0 can also be used as a source when a zero value is needed.
r31 is the link register used by Jump and Link instructions. It should not be used by other instructions.
The CPU has three special purpose registers:
PC Program Counter register
HI Multiply and Divide register higher result
LO Multiply and Divide register lower result

Last edited by smf; 05/07/14 04:15 PM.
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
IDA Pro uses the $ notation, with your choice of bare r0-r31 or the more customary v0/s0/etc.

S
smf Offline
S
I guess IDA Pro adds the $ because some assembler uses it. Like gas syntax would end up with us adding % to the front of all x86 registers

movl -4(%ebp, %edx, 4), %eax # Full example: load *(ebp - 4 + (edx * 4)) into eax
movl -4(%ebp), %eax # Typical example: load a stack variable into eax
movl (%ecx), %edx # No offset: copy the target of a pointer into a register
leal 8(,%eax,4), %eax # Arithmetic: multiply eax by 4 and add 8
leal (%eax,%eax,2), %eax # Arithmetic: multiply eax by 2 and add eax (i.e. multiply by 3)

That doesn't mean we should add them to the disassembly and worse to the register list.

H
Happy Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I have found where a change would need to be made to parse '$at' as a symbol, however, given the differing opinions on what the proper symbol should be, I will let the boffins decide what to do.

Anyway, in file emu/debug/express.c at line 930 in 'parse_symbol_or_number'

Code:

// if we have a $ prefix, we are a hex value
	if (buffer[0] == '$')
		return parse_number(token, buffer.cstr() + 1, 16, expression_error::INVALID_NUMBER);

decides that anything starting with a '$' must be a hex number and not a symbol. Thus '$at' ends up as an INVALID_NUMBER.

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
we would simply need to add support for an escape character for cases like this

S
smf Offline
S
That would make sense except none of the MIPS documentation ever mentions the $.

It especially makes no sense in the register names, even if the disassembler has to match IDA rather than the MIPS documentation.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
So someone remove the $ from the names then. And add a raw/ABI switch for bonus points.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Pernod, 1 invisible), 20 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,086
Posts119,088
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com