Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Had to back out the change. It caused the debugger to seize control of KDE's virtual desktops and not allow me to switch over to, for instance, my Win7 VMWare instance. And that's unfortunately a much worse violation of my workflow than 'source' being broken.

Maybe Andrew can come up with a real fix given these hints though smile

qmc2: you ever seen that kind of weird behavior from Qt?

Last edited by R. Belmont; 05/24/14 02:42 AM.
C
C
On Windows it wouldn't allow any other debugger windows to get focus while stopped. Putting,
Code:
	if(firststop)
		bring_main_window_to_front();

at line 281 fixes it.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Ok, that fixes my Linux problems too. Nicely spotted smile

H
Happy Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Has anyone else ever experienced having running behavior of a driver change just as a result of having a watchpoint set, even if the watchpoint is never triggered?

J
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
J
Yes, this usually happens with read handlers that have side effects like clearing IRQs. Then the debugger is actually the one triggering the side effect instead of the emulated system.

H
Happy Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I have some write watchpoints set up to try and catch when a pointer in the driver's ram gets corrupted. None of the watchpoints get triggered, because before execution reaches them a different pointer gets corrupted, but only when the watchpoints are set. If I never set the watchpoints, this other pointer never gets corrupted.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
You may need to find the real address of that RAM and use an external-to-MAME memory breakpoint (MSVC, GDB, and LLDB all have facilities for this).

H
Happy Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Bugger, not looking forward to sorting this out. In the program in question, the issue comes from a garbage value of a pointer being dereferenced. This value happens to be unaligned which causes a memory exception fault in the emulated CPU (MIPS). However, it is very difficult to predict where this pointer is stored, as in the emulated program, it exists within a dynamically allocated object on the heap. Furthermore, the program periodically moves things around on the heap to compact/defrag the dynamic memory pool. I suspect the issue may come from an incomplete copy of a dynamic object leaving garbage values in the new location, but I have not been able to trace this, as the issue only seems to occur once for every few hundred operations. The bug seems to be mostly deterministic however, as I can get the same garbage value in the same memory location triggering the memory exception sometimes. If anyone has any suggestions on how to simplify this task, I would appreciate the help.

R
R
Happy,

If you actually know the location of the code you are trying to check, don't use the watch points. Just change the code so that it goes into a loop.
With the program trapped in a loop, you can start the debugger and check the contents of any registers or memory.

I don't know what cpu is in your system, but a simple trap in MC6809 code could be:
loop bra loop

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
For MIPS you'll get more repeatable behavior using the interpreter, but you probably already knew that.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (hal3000, Richard Bannister, Vas Crabb, Praxis), 18 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,071
Posts118,945
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com