Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95367 08/06/14 06:32 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I'm running lubuntu 14.04 I was able to compiled MESS and it created an executable MESS file. When I try to execute the file in terminal it gives me a bash error.

what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Steve

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
On Linux, the current directory isn't part of the $(PATH), so you need to type ./mess (or ./mess64 for 64-bit) to start the executable.

Last edited by R. Belmont; 08/06/14 06:34 PM.
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
On Linux, the current directory isn't part of the $(PATH), so you need to type ./mess (or ./mess64 for 64-bit) to start the executable.

If he doesn't know that, he must either be ridiculously new to Unix, or trolling.

S
S
Originally Posted By Alegend45
Originally Posted By R. Belmont

If he doesn't know that, he must either be ridiculously new to Unix, or trolling.

I disagree. Until you compile something yourself, there is a good chance that you've never run an executable located in your current directory. You don't generally have any executables in your home directory tree at all (unless you compile). Pretty much everything you'd want to run is from a folder in your PATH that was installed by a package manager.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Yeah, you can quite happily live entirely off packaged software and never run into that issue these days. I attempt to keep my system so that stuff I work on is the only things I compile, and with RPMFusion I can largely succeed at that.

D
OP Offline
D
Alegend45 forgive me for nor knowing everything about Linux
... I am a newbie.

Originally Posted By dasaint80
Alegend45 forgive me for nor knowing everything about Linux
... I am a newbie.

I don't expect you to know everything. I expect you to know the basics. These are the basics.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Alegend, this is your only warning. Please stop beating up new users or you *will* be banned.

Wait, but Just Desserts does the same exact thing and yet he's not banned. Isn't that a bit of a double standard? Also, I haven't even done it nearly as much as he has anyway.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
I'm allowed to have double standards, it's one of the few perks of moderating. That said, if he was berating someone repeatedly about unintuitive bits of Unix trivia, yes, I'd bark at him.

Your real problem, since you seem not to understand, is that you dropped in after the moderator (me) stated that it wasn't a dumb question and insisted that it was. At that point you're insulting both the OP and the moderator. Not smart.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 21 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,072
Posts118,947
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com