Next Thread
Print Thread
#95433 08/09/14 07:26 PM
M
McMean Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi all,
Back at building a MAME since my first (and only) back in 2006. It's like riding a bicycle in many ways.. but lots of other things have changed. Right now, I'm deciding between using MESS to run NES or Nestopia to run NES.

My only issue with MESS running all my NES is I can't seem to figure out how to get games like Zelda and Link to save properly. I've read on this forum that I need a nvram directory.. and originally there was none when I installed MESS.

So other than creating a nvram folder in the right spot, what else needs to be done for those games like Zelda and Link to save properly? I love MESS running the NES games - no tearing at all! But can't live without the save feature on those games.

Thanks for any help,
Daniel

www.pinballowners.com/mcmean
MAME.DDK.Defender.Popeye.Ms.Pac/Galaga.PaulineDK.NES-MAME.Centipede
D
D
Those should save just fine. I got Final Fantasy to saved and loaded without any issue on the first try. Make sure it is official MESS from here. http://mamedev.org/

Windows 10 Home 64-bit / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 16 GB
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
You might need to use the softlisted versions to get saving, although I don't *think* that's a requirement.

S
S
While the MESS driver is really very nice thanks to all the great work etabeta has done on it since you've been away, it still needs a PPU rewrite to fix graphical glitches in many games. That's the only major thing holding it back as far as I know. I'd recommend Nestopia at least for now. See here.

Regarding saving - make sure you *exit* the emulated instance of the game before checking the save file. For some reason MESS doesn't actually save games when the original system saved them, unlike Nestopia and others. Save data stays in RAM while running and is committed to disk on exit. Just hope your instance doesn't crash! smile

Last edited by Shoegazer; 08/09/14 09:31 PM.
M
McMean Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Tx for the help folks. I'll give it a crack in the next couple days.
Daniel

www.pinballowners.com/mcmean
MAME.DDK.Defender.Popeye.Ms.Pac/Galaga.PaulineDK.NES-MAME.Centipede

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 22 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,277
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com