Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 212 of 352 1 2 210 211 212 213 214 351 352
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: seanriddle] #110154 07/05/17 03:12 AM
L
Lord Nightmare Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
L
hap: is there any chance we can at some point do the 'halftone dots' thing in the svg as well? I think there's a way to do it in inkscape, but not sure how contrived it is...

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: seanriddle] #110156 07/05/17 05:34 AM
S
seanriddle Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
S
I made a PCB to take better pics of the Konami LCD panels (games that are this shape), and it turns out that the Tiger handhelds (games that are this shape) use the identical LCD panel- same size and number of contacts. Here's the first Tiger panel I've taken pics of. That's the raw pic before any cleanup. There are some dust spots, but the black dots all over the place are actually part of different segments.

I also decapped games from A to Z - Arcade Mania and Zing-O:
http://www.seanriddle.com/tms1100.html#arcman
http://www.seanriddle.com/tms1000.html#zingo

And B00daW sent me the Famicom cart Family Trainer 3: Aerobics Studio that has a Mitsubishi M50805 speech chip: http://www.seanriddle.com/m50805.html

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: Tanukichi] #110157 07/05/17 06:15 AM
S
seanriddle Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
S
Originally Posted by Tanukichi

I've got the following handheld, I would gladly send them for decapping and/or dumping if someone is interested.
* Mini Classics : Donkey Kong Jr. (I don't remember the year of release but the case has a copyright notice with the year 1998)
* Mini Classics : Spiderman (2005)
* Tuttuki Bako (A weird japanese handheld from Bandai released in 2008)

Hap sent me Donkey Kong Jr Mini and Super Mario World Mini, but I haven't done anything with them yet. I'll put DKJR on the list to de-glob and see if it has a microprocessor that we can do something with.

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: Lord Nightmare] #110162 07/05/17 01:19 PM
RColtrane Offline
Originally Posted by Lord Nightmare
hap: is there any chance we can at some point do the 'halftone dots' thing in the svg as well? I think there's a way to do it in inkscape, but not sure how contrived it is...

Those halftone patterns were my concern regarding this whole background vectoring process since the beginning, that's why I asked if it would be possible to combine vectored segments with physical scanned backdrops. I still think this would be the best and more accurate way to preserve these things in MAME.

I don't want to sound like a party p**per here, but despite having very good background vectors so far, the little nuances and imperfections of the original material are gone. And so the halftone patterns.

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: seanriddle] #110163 07/05/17 01:45 PM
H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
MAME's SVG renderer doesn't support fill patterns (eg. checkerboard pattern for dithering, or gradients). Also IMO dithering is not something you'd want in vector graphics. It's like vectoring a cheaply made 1980s paper magazine and including the ink microdots.

Sean: I wonder if Konami contracted Tiger to release games under their license. The Konami handhelds really have a Tiger-gameplay quality to them.

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: RColtrane] #110164 07/05/17 01:58 PM
J
JonasP Offline
J
Originally Posted by RColtrane

Those halftone patterns were my concern regarding this whole background vectoring process since the beginning, that's why I asked if it would be possible to combine vectored segments with physical scanned backdrops. I still think this would be the best and more accurate way to preserve these things in MAME.

I don't want to sound like a party p**per here, but despite having very good background vectors so far, the little nuances and imperfections of the original material are gone. And so the halftone patterns.

I seem to remember people over at Mameworld artwork forum doing a great job of vectorizing halftones a few years back. I agree though that high quality colour corrected high res scans would be the gold standard preservation wise.
OTOH these vectorizations look great and I'd like to see them included as an option at least.

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: seanriddle] #110167 07/05/17 03:50 PM
C
ChoccyHobNob Offline
C
its not missing in the ones I uploaded.
They are all on my github now, that's where I will be putting all the new ones I do

Feel free to issue a pull request.

https://github.com/ChoccyHobNob/GameAndWatch-Overlays

Last edited by ChoccyHobNob; 07/05/17 03:56 PM. Reason: Added github
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: RColtrane] #110170 07/05/17 03:59 PM
C
ChoccyHobNob Offline
C
Originally Posted by RColtrane

I asked right at the start if I should include the imperfections and was told no

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: hap] #110171 07/05/17 04:11 PM
C
ChoccyHobNob Offline
C
Originally Posted by hap
That's good to hear, but in case of MW-56 might not be necessary. Here's the merged SVGs:
http://tsk-tsk.net/net/temp/svg/gnw_mw56_left.svg
http://tsk-tsk.net/net/temp/svg/gnw_mw56_right.svg

ChoccyHobNob: I made a few small corrections, so in case you'll update your vector art in the future, please use these files.

What corrections did you make? I'll update my affinity files.

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: seanriddle] #110172 07/05/17 04:24 PM
H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
- 2 upper bolts on the left purple girder on the right screen were too large
- several alignment changes. I don't remember all of them, but the most obvious one after merging in the LCD segments was that the purple platforms were too high. They don't have the same Y offset as conveyor belts.
- 1 purple platform added on right screen (the one Iceknight mentioned)

*edit* as for the chat on the shoutbox, I'm not going to meddle in. I'd like to say this though: your vector gfx is great the way it is now smile keep them coming.

Last edited by hap; 07/05/17 04:28 PM.
Page 212 of 352 1 2 210 211 212 213 214 351 352

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,762
Posts115,156
Members4,888
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020