Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 268 of 396 1 2 266 267 268 269 270 395 396
S
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
S
Space Invaders and Tetris have an Elan EU3A05, but Golden Tee has EU3A14; it looks similar but is a larger die. Klaus sent me a vtech laptop board about a year ago that had an EU3A12.

I got Skateboarder but haven't deglobbed the CPU yet. It also has a ROM with TSOP48 pads, but all 16 data bits are connected, unlike the others that were only 8 bits.

I've got a CubeWorld; the plan was to transplant the LCD into a Microvision, but I haven't gotten around to that yet. I can deglob the CPU and see what it is.

I bought the Frogger plug'n'play and Snowboarder, but the guy selling Snowboarder refunded my money because his wife donated it to charity and I'm waiting for another cheap one. I haven't bought Ping Pong yet.

H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
alright, thanks for looking at them.

I wonder if Skateboarder is XaviX or some unSP thing like some of the Jakks ones then, if it's 16-bit data bus it's probably not like these 6502 ones, should still be interesting tho.

Guess the pieces will start to come together once the roms are dumped :-)

Frogger will be NES VT derived, it's almost certainly the standalone version of the game in the vgtablet, but released 2 years earlier without the other games or the fancy menus etc.

Seems like there are more different techs involved here than first anticipated, but as this is all new discovery / research that's no bad thing anyway.

(speaking of the unSP driver, batmantv and walle probably shouldn't be clones of vii, and vii probably shouldn't be marked as working considering at least half of the games in it just give you a black screen)

H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Game & Watch Super Mario Bros isn't fully working yet, the melody rom still needs to be verified. Other than that, it is playable though. External artwork is available here: http://tsk-tsk.net/net/extart/gnw_smb.zip (also includes vector artwork, simple enough for me to create)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

T
T

Originally Posted by Haze

(speaking of the unSP driver, batmantv and walle probably shouldn't be clones of vii, and vii probably shouldn't be marked as working considering at least half of the games in it just give you a black screen)

speaking of unSP, basically all of this stuff would need some hugh love...rebecca researched the serial protocol of the v.smile over a year ago...if only someone would add this to the driver, some of the booting games would at least show more as only the intro and menue.

the v.smile emu from segher boots more games as MAME. mame's driver is based on this emu, but what's the difference why some games do not boot?

does any of the unSP games have the sound emulated by the way?

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted by TeamE
the v.smile emu from segher boots more games as MAME. mame's driver is based on this emu, but what's the difference why some games do not boot?

Segher continued to develop his emulator. I ported it over to MAME exactly once and have not updated it since. And I don't have the interest to re-port it or update it right now. It's as simple as that.

D
D
Nice hap. smile

Windows 10 Home 64-bit / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 16 GB
S
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
S
Originally Posted by Haze
That CubeWorld thing in the video looks curious, I'm not sure how we'd emulate it, you're literally meant to plug dozens of them together, with them knowing which side you've connected them in order to do animations that span across multiple screens. Also possible each one has different code (or if we're lucky the different behaviours will be a jumper pad inside or something) Either way that will be a real test of MAME as you'd probably have to have a base system that was one of them, and also allow that system to be a pluggable device, with each one adding a slot for all 4 sides of the cube (8 slots on the big ones?) that could be plugged into any given side of another cube (so you'd need source AND destination 'slots') and add a new screen / layout to the system each time. MAME would need some architectural improvements to handle that for sure! Looks like a fascinating idea tho, with units running different kind of games that respond differently depending on the other cubes you connect.

I gave out a few of those CubeWorld things as gifts back when they were new, I thought they were cute. We had fun watching the little stick figures interact with each other, it reminded me of Tamagotchi. I know a few people who might still have theirs somewhere, assuming the batteries haven't exploded.

S
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
S
I deglobbed Radica Skateboarder's CPU, but enough epoxy stuck to the die that I can't see the part number. It is the same size as Space Invaders (smaller than Golden Tee), but not identical from what I can see. CubeWorld had a CPU blob and an LCD controller blob. The LCD die is twice as wide and tall as the CPU, since it has 120 segment outputs. Epoxy stuck to them, too; all I could read was Winbond on the CPU die. I'll get some pics after I've got time to clean them off with acid.

S
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
S
Turns out Golden Tee's ROM is 16-bit, and unfortunately they tied /BYTE high under the glob. So I'll have to solder on 8 more wires to get the dump. It looks like 21 address bits, so 4MB.

Hap and I have been working on electronically dumping the melody ROM from Sharp SM511s so I won't need to decap them to get it when a normal chip package is used (instead of a glob). Melody ROM isn't part of the CPU address map, so I've got to capture the R output as each note is played and count OSC cycles to figure out what frequency and duration the note is, then translate that to their 6-bit format. But that still doesn't get us the "end of melody" flags. Hap gave me some ideas and I played around tonight and I think I've got it. I need to write a program to parse what I captured, then I'll send it to Hap to see if it sounds good.

S
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
S
I've been waiting for one of these at a reasonable price, but it looks like the LCD panel in this one is toast: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292418534857?ul_noapp=true

It's probably simple enough to recreate from scratch, but it might be hard to figure out the segment wiring.

Page 268 of 396 1 2 266 267 268 269 270 395 396

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Pernod, 1 invisible), 21 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,086
Posts119,088
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com