Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 368 of 374 1 2 366 367 368 369 370 373 374
S
ssj Offline
S
Pretty cool to see the Funtronics series fully preserved, is the artwork for those being scanned/photographed? That kind of gimmicks definitely need artwork on MAME to be a lot more enjoyable.

H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
I don't know.

And I can assure you they will be as (un)enjoyable with good artwork wink
It's not because they have aged badly, but also since these are little kids' games. If I was a young teenager back then I would have enjoyed Mattel Football but not these.

S
ssj Offline
S
Eheh that's true, but at least they would look a lot better with the artwork.

What's the status on the mattel sports games btw? Last time I checked there were still some undumped games right? Do we know their chips and are they dumpable electronically? Would be nice to be able to finally ditch the old ledhead simulator for proper emulation.

H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Some of them are on PPS4/1 (Auto Race, Football games, and the newer VFD Football game too, this 1: https://handheldmuseum.com/Mattel/WCFB.htm ). Missing MCU emulation, but might not be too hard to add to MAME since standard PPS4 is already emulated. Kevtris dumped the VFD game ages ago, older games are not dumped.

Basketball, Soccer, Hockey are on COPS I (COP400 is COPS II, COPS I is MM57xx series), Missing MCU emulation.

Basketball 2, Soccer 2 are dual-COP421. Sean has these, but not dumped yet.

S
ssj Offline
S
Ok thanks, does anyone already have the units of the older ones secured or are they still needed?

H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
I sent a notification to Sean.

D
D
There is this one Basket ball red leds game. When a player blocked the ball then there is a buzz buzz sounds. I played this when I was a kid. I don't know which one MAME have. I'm not for sure I can play it. I probably lost the feeling to it.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 16 GB
S
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
S
I think I've acquired all the Mattel LED handhelds. I've dumped the COPS I Basketball visually and have Soccer and Hockey. Basketball 2 and Soccer 2 have a metal layer over the ROM area to obscure the bits, but I should be able to dump those electronically. The original games (Auto Race, Football, Baseball) use a modified Rockwell calculator chip that is very similar to the PPS-4/1 microcontrollers, and some later games (mostly non-sports) use PPS-4/1 chips. There's also a set of (non-sports) LED games that use Hitachi calculator chips. There are also some LCD re-releases- I think I have Classic Football and Classic Baseball.

J
J
Hello, this post is about the artwork so it is specially for DarthMarino who currently maintains and hosts the handheld artwork.

First, since Mr. Do!'s artwork site most of the time offers several variatons for artworks, would it be possible to have a "simple" or "vanilla" edition of the artwork packages that just have the "Backgrounds only" view plus fan art that is lightweight in storage size like in the early days of the G&W artwork in MAME? I am pretty sure that i am not the only one that uses only that mode (since it is the most suitable one for actually playing them) and would benefit from saving space for those 50+ games.

Second and something that concerns me about the quality of the background layers as they appear in the current versions.

The cases are amazing, shiny and beautifully done but there was some carelessness in regard to those background images. See, when hydef added the "Backgrounds only" view to the artwork for whatever reason he upscaled the images, removed the white background of them, replaced  them with a random noise that is noticeably darker than the white background of the scan and "repainted" them, meaning that they are not "Original scans" with just a simple dust cleanup. Not only is that noise rather ugly, there are a lot of inconsistencies.

Examples: The Donkey Kong II background look less fuzzier and have a less noticeable noise since it used the scan from (i think) Tanukichi and looks different from the other ones. In Mario Bros. he forgot to apply the multiply effect in the left screen and the green ladders appear on top of the girders instead of having a color blending effect and both screens also looks noticeably photoshopped. The background in Crystal Screen Balloon Fight is way darker than the other two CS games. In the Multi Screen games apart from the darker backgrounds one of the screens was darkened more than the other one (I am aware that the scans of Mickey & Donald and Pinball have slight color differences between the inlays, but i am not talking about that). The backgrounds for the three Gold games are obviously vector versons with an "Original scan" nowhere in sight (I couldn't even find them in hal3000 dropbox directory).

Please, would it be possible to fix these problems and bring back the raw white background from the scan? The background of the Tiger games and the one from Space Bridge was not fiddled with at all.

P.S.: The ones from the Tabletop and Panorama games are fine as they are (since color alignment is more critically in them i absolutely agree with the changes in the images), the only problem i found was that in Mario's Bombs Away in the middle position (the one with an eye almost closed and the other looking upwards) one detail in Mario's shoe have the same color as the uniform instead of having the color of the sole.

Thanks in advance.

D
D
Just to give a little background to my involvement... I started out just touching the backgrounds up to my liking for my own personal use. I was mainly trying to fix things like misaligned colors, flaking, etc. I have had my share of criticism for this, which I completely understand. Some backgrounds are completely untouched from whatever Hydef did, others not so much. I tried to include the original scans as an option where I may have deviated a bit much. I only really got involved when it was clear that Hydef had stepped away from the project and since I was going to make backgrounds anyway, I figured I could help out so we at least had something.

I believe your main concern is the gray background behind all the actual artwork. I don't think there is a simple solution to this. The white background of the original scan is just the lid of the scanner, not a component from the game. The real artwork is printed on a translucent sheet and the far background is darker than the white scanner lid. I ended up doing the effect that you describe which I will call a slight grain effect just to give it some texture. Towards the end, Hydef added diagonal lines in the background to all the games. I see what he is going for but I thought it looked a bit strong. You may prefer that look and his versions are all available. Both our solutions are indeed "CGI" for lack of a better term.

I'm sorry you don't like my takes on the backgrounds but especially with the recent rescan of Egg, I don't plan on making any more changes. I've basically only gotten negative feedback so I'm certainly not the right person to make definitive versions of these things. I fixed the issue with the shoe in Bomb's Away and replaced the left original scan on Mario Bros. with the one that should have been used if that helps.

Page 368 of 374 1 2 366 367 368 369 370 373 374

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Duke, Richard Bannister), 18 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,913
Posts117,077
Members4,989
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com