Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 369 of 374 1 2 367 368 369 370 371 373 374
S
ssj Offline
S
Thanks Sean, good to know they are all secured and in good hands. I'm sure you'll get to dump them eventually.

DarthMarino, I don't think you only got negative feedback, I'm sure most people (myself included) really enjoy your artwork. There will be always some minor details that some purists might not like much, but some compromise must be made and I think your artwork does it very well overall. There will never be a definitive version of this kind of stuff that will make everyone happy.
I'd love to see you tackling other systems that's for sure.

J
J
Hello Darth and thanks for answering. Yes, you are absolutely right when you said "I believe your main concern is the gray background behind all the actual artwork", my main problem is that also the colors of the actual artwork was darkened along with the texture along with the texture itself. However sorry, i didn't knew at all that you was overwhelmed by negative feedback since this forum is my main and only way of knowing how the handheld preservation project is going and thanks for listening me regarding the 2 fixes you made.
Anyway if someone is willing to make "simple" alternate versions of the artwork i would be happy to know.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
A pure white background would be incorrect for these games; they had a typical LCD murky-grey behind them.

If you really want simplified artwork, don't download the artwork at all and just play with the built-in layout. That's about as pure and low-bandwidth as you can get.

D
Online Content
D
I wouldn't say I was overwhelmed with negative feedback but what little I got was always for that variety. I just always got the impression that the untouched backgrounds, warts and all, were what everyone else preferred so there wasn't much room for my takes. Thanks for the good word, ssj.

I don't see the need to make separate art files for the background only view and I think that would just confuse everyone. I never play with the units in view but love having the option to see them. I know many people do play with those views and they look great. Some of Mr. Do's uploads for games like Pac-Man include a ton of views for different versions of the original machine, various fan arts, etc. I love having all these options. If the concern is that they are taking up too much room, then I suggest learning how to work with LAY files and tailoring them to your needs. You can open this in notepad, delete all the views you don't want and delete the element references to those images at the top. Then you can remove all the unwanted images from the zip file.

Just to address a few other points you made:
If the colors of the actual art were darkened, that could vary on a case by case basis. A lot of times I would handle the gray area as a separate element in Photoshop and should have no effect on the rest of the art. DKII has the same grain effect but it's probably less noticeable since the screens are half-size. Same with games like Safebuster. For Balloon Fight, I assume you are referring to the background without the mountains. That one is darker and has a weird color banding effect. I actually didn't touch that one at all since I never use it. I play with the mountain background since that was part of the supplied artwork from Nintendo. Only that crystal screen game came with something like that and I believe it was printed on white cardboard. It actually appears lighter than all the other backgrounds as it should. You can check if Hydef did anything with this in his final versions. I remember a point where I noticed the vertical dual screen games had one screen darker than the other. Not sure if that was intentional from Hydef to create the effect as you would see it in real life. I thought I adjusted them all to better match. It might help to let me know where you downloaded from. What I host on my drive is different from what Hydef is hosting and I'm not sure what Mr. Do uploaded. I'll put a link to my drive below since that's all I can control. I'm not sure what "Tanukichi" is referring to.

Game & Watch Artwork (Including Bassmate)

J
J
Hey Darth, and yes warts and all is what i want it with the exact unmodified color from the scanners's lid , also i do not understand why the Panorama, Tiger and Space Bridge games had the background unmodified (ignoring the color areas adjustments in the first) but the rest were darkened. And by the way i have been editing the .lay and the .zip but i was unable to do something with the darkened images and the smaller download size was because i have a less than ideal internet connection and re downloading them was difficult but ignore that. I will check when i can and make another clarification but thanks for answering, i will bring the topic in another moment since i want to make another question:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/_ui/images/clubnintendo/photo20.jpg

This is from Iwata Asks. Is there any chance that the "reverse fire" from G&W Gallery 3 is simply not true? The interview says that they made the test version from that picture and it looks identical to the final one. G&WG3 says that the reversed one was the "version planned to be released as is".

D
Online Content
D
I think the simple answer is that the G&W games are on a much higher pedestal than anything from Tiger or Electronika so Nintendo nerds like me are willing to spend hours upon hours working on the artwork. You won't find many fanboys of Tiger's MC Hammer game so the quickest solution is good enough. The Panorama games don't have the gray LCD background so there's nothing to darken. If it bothers you that much, I would get a free photo editor like paint.net (if you don't have Photoshop) and redo all the backdrops to your liking. I'm not willing to redo 50+ backgrounds from scratch when I've spend so much time getting them to where they are now, even if others disagree with the approach.

We've discussed the reverse Fire situation including that photo. It's all a bit confusing and we'll probably never know the truth. Someone at Nintendo may have been misinformed when they did Gallery 3. I only came up with the solution to play it this way in MAME as an option if anyone wants to try it out. I don't personally play it this way.

J
J
Two useless but interesting G&W little details i noticed:

Super Mario Bros. have a neat little funny easter egg: if the alarm activates while the game runs and the player have three extra lives the "Alarm Koopa" will breathe fire (as normal) but with a smoke cloud appearing, giving the impression that it is burning the leftmost extra life icon. Guess that they wanted to use every single segment available (And you tought SMB was complex for an electronic handheld).

In Zelda the princess have four segments for the arms (check the svg) but when she appears in the game she never moves them. It gives me the impression that the 2 segments for the raised arms are unused (of course, outside of pressing the game button when putting the batteries or resetting the game).

1 member likes this: MilanSK
H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Here is Mattel Basketball, it was decapped by Sean a couple of years ago.
I also added QuizKid Speller, and the older version of QuizKid Racer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Entex Black Knight, sent to Sean by Rik

H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Mattel Soccer and Hockey are added too

Page 369 of 374 1 2 367 368 369 370 371 373 374

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (R. Belmont, Xolod, JonasP, MAMEBase, Olivier Galibert), 23 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,913
Posts117,078
Members4,989
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com