Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 387 of 396 1 2 385 386 387 388 389 395 396
H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
PM hal3000: https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=8792
He's located in Sweden. If you dismantle the Mario Cement Factory tabletop (only send the PCB with the MCU on it), it won't be a large package to send overseas.

D
D
This is great, alexb.

On the artwork side of things, am I correct in saying that clones will automatically use the artwork from the parent set and therefore don't need their own zip file with the alternate name?

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Holy shit!

H
Online Content
H
That's great news and very kind of you! Once the game data has been read out I'm happy to send you the units back. The readout process in non-destructive so the units will not be "sacrificed" for this purpose.

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted by hal3000
That's great news and very kind of you! Once the game data has been read out I'm happy to send you the units back. The readout process in non-destructive so the units will not be "sacrificed" for this purpose.

...Melody ROM for Mario's Cement Factory?

H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Originally Posted by Just Desserts

The melody ROMs would indeed be the final (known) 'destructive' parts of these to get correct. If we get there, who knows.

H
Online Content
H
Originally Posted by Haze
Originally Posted by Just Desserts

The melody ROMs would indeed be the final (known) 'destructive' parts of these to get correct. If we get there, who knows.

The table top version of Mario's Cement Factory sports a SM511 with a melody ROM. There are two known versions with different startup jingles.

The current way of electronically reading the melody ROM data isn't 100% accurate (it is done by playing back the melodies and reconstructing the ROM) and a decap is needed to get this fully right. This stands true for many of the SM511/SM512 G&W games which has been added to MAME. I'm still believing that there exists a accurate way to read out the melody ROM data electronically and want to revisit this some day. There has been some development in this area recently as Furrtek has offered to take a look at SM511 die shots and investigate whether the melody ROM data can be connected to the CPU data bus. Here's a link to an article published by him describing the process of reading out "non-accessible" data from a video color encoder chip by tracing the die shot: http://furrtek.free.fr/?a=pceyuv

M
Online Content
M
Guys, I'd like to ask you for your opinion.

I'm going to vectorize a few LCDs for MAME that I have scanned recently. See attached pictures.
As you can see, some segments are not perfect. It's not glitches in those particular LCD pieces. These issues are present on all LCDs of the same game type.

Now what do you think - should I fix those segments in the vectorized image? Or we should preserve fidelity of the original as much as possible, even if it is imperfect?
If it was up to me, I would repair those segments. They are obviously misdrawn either by design or as a result of the fabrication process, and fixing them does not change anything in the game presentation. Preserving misdrawn segments does not bring any value IMHO.

IM-13 Razvedchiki kosmosa
IM-19 Biatlon

H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
If it was me, I'd clean up the tiny glitches. So, for IM-13, the ones on the missiles, or that the "1" is stuck together, or the small notch on the A segment of each "8". I wouldn't modify the shape of the radar.

S
S
If all copies of the game came like that, I wouldn't change it (it's like fixing an in-game bug, which you don't). People don't fix misprinted coins or comics or cards.
I think those little issues can show/say something about the manufacturing quality, about the time/market it existed in, and maybe some other meta information.

Add a note to the driver instead, referencing the misprint (maybe explain why it happened)?

Page 387 of 396 1 2 385 386 387 388 389 395 396

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dorando), 20 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,071
Posts118,945
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com