Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#97651 12/29/14 10:04 PM
K
k1w1 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I noticed that over the last couple of months a lot of work has been done with system tape & cassette devices and a lot of xml's had been produced for cassettes.

In that vein I decided to put together a cassette xml for the a800 and found out, after doing some substantial work on this, that there was no cassette device enabled for the a800. I know, I should have checked first, but I just assumed that as this system had been on MESS for many years that all basic input devices would be enabled.

I know it is bad form to make requests for additions to MESS but as the a800 system is fairly well developed it would be nice to have all of the input devices available on it.

I don't know how difficult this would be. All I know is that every piece of cassette based software I have found for the a800 is in the CAS format which are substantially smaller than WAV files for other systems. I am guessing that these are digital equivalents of the analogue WAV files.

Anyway I apologise for being so bold in my request, it's just when I get started on something I like to finish it.

k1w1

The fact is that the Atari Computer line of emulation (Atari 400/5200/800/XL/XE/XEGS) is sadly outdated and basically and abandoned driver at the moment. Other than cartridge loading, there has been little done to it in the last decade...

That said while not an unreasonable request, it is just unlikely such support can/will be added soon. I wouldn't let that stop you from make an XML softlist if that is your intent as there are other emulators that can be used to at least verify/identify cassette files.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Yeah, we really need someone to step up and maintain the Atari 8-bit drivers - they're the only major 6502 system that's currently totally orphaned in MESS and it's quite sad.

K
k1w1 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks guy's.

I will continue work on the a800_cass.xml. At least I will be able to contribute this when and if the cassette driver is implemented on the a800.

I have found 955 CAS images and currently am up to "C" in the xml.

k1w1

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
I see some atari 8 bit tapes could have cassette data on one channel and audio on another. For those the cas format is not sufficient or is this some special atari 8 bit version of the cas format where extra audio is supported?

It would be tricky - thinking about it. It is almost easier to just support .wav in this case. I can't remember any other system which had support such as this, using the right side for data and the left for voice.

Here is a link that will help:
http://www.atariarchives.org/dere/chaptC.php

K
k1w1 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I don't believe the CAS format for Atari stores the audio track.

Originally, both tracks were used in Atari's "Educational System" cartridge and software. You would load the educational software which would then control the cassette players audio to support the on-screen program.

There are only a few Atari WAV files in existence which have captured both tracks and these are the educational software produced by Atari and Dorsett. Every other piece of cassette software I have found is in the CAS format which did not utilise audio.

k1w1

K
k1w1 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Most if not all of the CAS files have been created using a public domain program called "wav2cas". You can get it at the link below: -

http://home.planet.nl/~ernest/wav2cas.zip

In side that zip file is a TXT file that explains the CAS format in detail and it explains it's non use of the audio track.

k1w1

Last edited by k1w1; 12/30/14 10:47 PM.
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
The Intellivision Keyboard Component used special 4-track tapes with 2 tracks of data (one fixed, one user-recordable) plus fixed and user-recordable audio tracks.

Last edited by R. Belmont; 12/30/14 10:52 PM.
I have at least one software piece that required both called The Adventures of Oswald which used the cassette to give the story and instructions to the user as they interacted with the screen moving and interacting with the screen elements. As you progress and as the narration was happening, more data was loaded then executed at the right time.

I also have a few bootleg cassettes I got once in which a cassette copy was done from an original over a audio recording. In one specific case there was Hotel California playing while Fort Apocalypse was loading smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hydreigon, r09, box, 2 invisible), 16 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,085
Posts119,081
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com