Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Making an image of a floppy disk - best way? [Re: Robbbert] #103092 12/18/15 09:01 PM
Darkstar Online Content
Online Content
Note that you generally cannot dump disks with copy-protection that way (well, you can dump them but the data will be wrong/incomplete), and if there's a read-error due to bitrot there's, more often than not, no way to recover via the PC's FDC

If you have some disks that cannot be dumped that way (due to bitrot, copy protection, etc.) feel free to send them to me or someone else with a KF or similar dumping hardware to get it dumped

Re: Making an image of a floppy disk - best way? [Re: Robbbert] #103208 12/22/15 04:19 AM
Robbbert Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
I tried out some programs. Firstly, PowerISO and MagicISO were entirely useless, in fact running any disk read program on WinNT, Win2000, XP etc is entirely a waste of time, because the OS won't allow the low-level access necessary.

WinImage wouldn't run at all, I'm guessing I might have got a broken download.

That only usable OS was therefore DOS or Win9x. I tried Imagedisk and rawrite2 on a 386 pc, they both worked fine. The problem is how to get 100+ files off the machine onto a usb stick? It could be done I suppose, but not easily.

So, over to my Win98SE machine. I decided on Imagedisk as IMD files are supported in MESS, and they can be turned back into disks if needed. There's no file extractor though. I read about 60(?) disks so far with good success. I'll do more next year.

Last edited by Robbbert; 12/22/15 06:39 AM. Reason: i said too much
Re: Making an image of a floppy disk - best way? [Re: Robbbert] #103209 12/22/15 05:20 AM
H
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Originally Posted By Robbbert
I tried out some programs. Firstly, PowerISO
Lastly, when the subject was brought up on IRC, 2 ppl decided that I *must* purchase and use a kryoflux and give the resultant images to some online software archive site, and if I didn't then I am a stupid idiot. Further, if I didn't make the images available to MAME then I must be an asshole. I hadn't yet actually got to deciding what was to happen with them, but one thing's for sure... I won't be donating anything to that site or buying a kryoflux. Those 2 ppl know who they are, all I can say is you've stuffed things up for everyone. Well done.

Please scale back your incredibly dumb and shitty attitude.

Things like the Kyroflux (but maybe not specifically the Kyroflux) are VERY important dumping tools.

Cowboy dumping like you're doing only gets you so far, and is the cause of many, many bad dumps you find online. Don't act like you're somehow better than other people, you're really, really not.

In some cases the 'easy' methods might suffice for getting something running, but better methods should always be encouraged, so putting down people who are encouraging use of more professional solutions is not cool.

Re: Making an image of a floppy disk - best way? [Re: Robbbert] #103210 12/22/15 05:24 AM
L
Lord Nightmare Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
L
Also don't touch kryoflux with a 10 foot pole; SPS are a bunch of people more interested in their own profit than any sort of preservation. Look into the supercard pro or other similar devices.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
Re: Making an image of a floppy disk - best way? [Re: Haze] #103211 12/22/15 06:16 AM
Robbbert Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By Haze

Cowboy dumping like you're doing only gets you so far, and is the cause of many, many bad dumps you find online.

Don't worry, they won't go online.

Originally Posted By Haze

Please scale back your incredibly dumb and shitty attitude.
Don't act like you're somehow better than other people, you're really, really not.

You should follow your own advice.

Moderator, please close / delete this thread. It isn't going anywhere useful, and I made a mistake by asking for advice here.

Re: Making an image of a floppy disk - best way? [Re: Robbbert] #103212 12/22/15 01:15 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
The best way to bulk transfer the .IMDs from the 386 or whatever is to use a USB to IDE dongle. Pull the HDD out of that machine temporarily, plug it into the dongle, and it'll appear to an XP or later machine as a USB stick.

Also, PowerISO etc work fine on Windows up to 10 if you have a new enough version; XP+ *can* do low-level access if the program is written properly. PowerISO is for CDs though, I'm not sure why you're mentioning it in the context of floppies.

Last edited by R. Belmont; 12/22/15 01:19 PM.
Re: Making an image of a floppy disk - best way? [Re: Robbbert] #103213 12/22/15 02:47 PM
Darkstar Online Content
Online Content
CF cards also work very nicely with retro-style DOS PCs since the CF interface is IDE compatible, so you only need a cheap passive adapter to connect them.

Re: Making an image of a floppy disk - best way? [Re: Robbbert] #103215 12/22/15 03:31 PM
Al Kossow Offline
I decided on Imagedisk as IMD files are supported in MESS, and they can be turned back into disks if needed. There's no file extractor though. I read about 60(?) disks so far with good success. I'll do more next year.

If the disks have no copy protection, just zip them into a file
while you're reading them (assuming they're DOS)

zip -r -0 file.zip a:

I guess no one has written a loopback driver for DMGs yet for
DOS or Linux.

Re: Making an image of a floppy disk - best way? [Re: Robbbert] #103216 12/22/15 04:59 PM
J
Justin Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
It's worth leaving the thread around because this is a common situation likely to come up again in the future. I would encourage people to add more information to the wiki at http://digitize.archiveteam.org/index.php/Floppy_Disks as well.

WinImage is the easiest tool for PC disks so it would be worth trying to re-download, I think. Never had a problem using it on later versions of Windows.

No, it doesn't support copy protection. Yes, flux dumps are the gold standard, but not everyone with disks is gonna buy $100+ worth of hardware or ship the disks around the world and I'd much rather see some kind of dumps happen vs. arguing until they rot. The vast majority of PC software doesn't have disk-based protection anyway.

Do make sure to physically write-protect all the disks before putting them in a Windows PC though, otherwise Windows will helpfully write crap on them.

Re: Making an image of a floppy disk - best way? [Re: Robbbert] #103218 12/22/15 08:48 PM
O
Octocontrabass Offline
O
I decided on Imagedisk as IMD files are supported in MESS, and they can be turned back into disks if needed. There's no file extractor though.

If you convert the resulting IMD file to raw sector data, 7-zip can read files from the resulting FAT filesystem. This may not work if the disk is copy-protected or uses nonstandard sector layouts.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Luengo, Golden Child, dxl), 50 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,821
Posts116,119
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020