Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Really weird because as you can see in my op above, i tried -joyport pad alteady and to me MAME gives an error saying that -joyport is an unknown command. I will give it another shot though...

G
G
in your post you used: "-joyport1 pad" and "joyport2 pad"

you have to have a dash in front of joyport2 like -joyport2 pad

if you can't get it from the command line, you can always set it from slot devices menu (which will give you the names of each slot option which you can use on the command line) and choose reset

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

so for example: this would correspond to command line options of:

-joyport1 joy -joyport2 pad

On the command line, you don't need quotes. "-joyport2 pad" won't work since it treats it as a single item.

You can "blank" an option with quoles like this: -joyport2 "" which will set joyport2 to empty.

Last edited by Golden Child; 01/09/21 02:39 AM.
In fact the missing dash in my post was a typo, i did use the command with a dash, sorry about that!

And do you know how to set the analog options through command line as well? I need to set the folowing parameters:

Autocenter speed 0
Digital speed 20
Reverse On
Sensitivity 20

Thank you guys for your support on this.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Those aren't set in the command line, they're saved in the .cfg file.

Originally Posted by R. Belmont

Thanks! The -joyport1 pad and -joyport2 pad are now working fine, I was using these parameters at the wrong place.

However, to maintain the .cfg settings for both pad and joy games, I had to set the .cfg file as readonly after saving my breakout settings, otherwise it would lose analog settings after entering a game which uses the regular joystick only and does not use analog controls. I think it would be better to include these analog settings as command line options as well, for better control of these settings without having to tweak things by setting a .cfg file as read only.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted by RColtrane

Thanks! The -joyport1 pad and -joyport2 pad are now working fine, I was using these parameters at the wrong place.

However, to maintain the .cfg settings for both pad and joy games, I had to set the .cfg file as readonly after saving my breakout settings, otherwise it would lose analog settings after entering a game which uses the regular joystick only and does not use analog controls. I think it would be better to include these analog settings as command line options as well, for better control of these settings without having to tweak things by setting a .cfg file as read only.

FWIW this has been addressed – MAME 0.233 will preserve settings for paddles when you switch to joysticks, and vice versa.
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/44e550af744e227d43e4f7c78d0ce80abbcf343e

1 member likes this: R. Belmont
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
If I read that right, it'll work for a whole bunch of slot cards with configurable settings. That's an awesome QOL boost.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
If I read that right, it'll work for a whole bunch of slot cards with configurable settings. That's an awesome QOL boost.
Right, it preserves input mapping, analog control settings, machine configuration settings, and DIP switch settings for slot cards that you don’t have inserted. I’m hoping it’ll eliminate a significant irritation for people emulated computers and consoles. I just bumped this thread in particular because I remembered it was mentioned here, and I want to let people know that despite persistent rumours to the contrary, I actually do take feedback into consideration wink

M
M
In the TI-99 emulations I often have different slot cards, and so I had to cope with this issue of lost configurations. I helped myself by using the cfg_directory switch in my script/batch files.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 19 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,993
Posts118,153
Members5,005
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com