Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
OP Offline
M
With the latest romset, everything is the same. I'm so confused what I do with those two gigantic nearly identical file folders linked above Copy both? I thank everyone, it's nearly 8am and I haven't slept yet. I'll play around more later and report back. thank you all.

smile

A
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
So I think something is wrong with your build.

I don't use MAME because I need the MESS part only.
Try Robert's MESS with NewUI as example.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By Anna Wu
So I think something is wrong with your build.

I don't use MAME because I need the MESS part only.
Try Robert's MESS with NewUI as example.

It's working! Thank you so so much! laugh laugh laugh

H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
if you do get around to dumping your carts, make sure to dump the ones where you observed there are differences (and if you have time, verify the others - bad dumps and alt. revisions are always a possibility)

hard to say if the ones that differ are pre-release or not, it looks like some of the games on platforms like this and the gameking had quite an organic develpoment process, morphing from one game to another over the course of deveopment etc. so it might be they just put whatever the current code was on the carts at the point of manufacturing them, it seems to have been quite common to do this in the Asian markets.

the Gamate driver does still need some work, raster-like effects (mid-screen changes) and a couple of other things don't quite work at the moment afaik, but yeah, the driver is enough to see / hear the basics of most of the dumped games.

D
D
I was having the same problem: Gamate not working at all in MAME.171. I downloaded the MESSNewUI build and it works; however I found an issue. Several times when I tried to change games by un-mounting them and mounting a new game from the menu bar at the top of the screen, MESS would crash. The games always load OK when they are the first game loaded in that session. The crashing is not random, it only and always happens when switching between specific games. One example is "Fantasy Travel" and "Jewelriss", playing them in that order works fine, but trying to play "Fantasy Travel" after "Jewelriss" crashes MESS.

The offical mamedev binary has no trouble with gamate in your scenario:
mame gamate -> Tab -> File Manager -> Cart -> Software List -> Bit Corp Gamate cart -> "Jewelriss" and it resets/boots/game starts playing - repeat the File Manager path above to select a new game "Fantasy Travel" and it restarts + works again with no crash. I also tried loading Jeweltiss from the command-line and loading Fantasy Travel after that, again no crash.

Have to assume it is an issue with the "newui" portion of the mame build Robbert provides, have a bad build, or you have some other configuration issue you aren't mentioning.

D
D
I tried the regular MESS build, and it still crashes; the only difference is that instead of a message that "This program has stopped working" appearing and my having to manually exit, it automatically exits with no warning. I put the game ROMs in the same folder as the emulator, and the bios in a "ROMs" folder; other than that, I didn't change any settings.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
What regular MESS build? There isn't any official MESS build.

I know there are bugs with the Newui build, but it isn't in the Newui part. I still have to track it down. It's one of the reasons that my builds are suspended.

D
D
By regular build, I mean the one in the "MESSNewUI" folder named "MESS" and not "MESSUI".

E
E
Hi Postman,

Morten and me managed to make a successful link cable and play against each other in C1-045 World Soccer.

Took a while because we had to get two link capable games to try it out.

We made the cable using two 5 pin connectors ordered from Conrad:
https://www.conrad.de/de/buchsenleiste-mit-kabel-ps5-econ-connect-inhalt-1-st-1303861.html

The wires goes like this:

Code:
1 2 3 4 5
\ / | \ /
 X  |  X
/ \ | / \
1 2 3 4 5

Getting this to work was very flakey as:

With the first set of Gamates we used, one crashed whenever we turned on the other. It didn't matter which one we turned on first.

With the second set, neither booted the game.

With the third set, we were able to play against each other! The first time we tried, it crashed relatively fast. The second time we tried, it didn't crash until after we scored a goal each. Success smile

Cheers, Eddie

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (Reznor007, Pernod, R. Belmont, Dullaron), 24 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,102
Posts119,262
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com