Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#106582 07/24/16 05:04 AM
OP Offline
in my previous post I have explained I am not new to MAME but in many ways I am. One way I am new to MAME is the amateurish way I update MAME.

When there is a new release, I download the binaries zip and unzip the contents to a new folder which is named after the latest release(I don't do so for every release, just when I feel like it for a particular release, based largely on the changes made listed in the new release readme file) I am lost when it comes to source code as I have next to no programming skill(unless it's within a specific program I have encountered in my schooling such as Microsoft Excel, Matlab, Maple, and MathCad)

I would like explanation as to the best methods to upgrade MAME with each release.

AMDFx(tm)-6120 Six-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
10 GB RAM 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
ASH Offline
Mame is now updated once a month (around the 26th , normally the wednesday))

http://mamedev.org/release.php

the top one will work. "mame0175b.exe"
the second one is for 64 bit PC's

download and overwrite or clean install to a Mame folder.

google is your friend for the extra's and roms try searching for
"dome roms pleasure" and click the top link smile

Last edited by ASH; 07/24/16 08:33 AM.
S
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
S
If you have 64-bit Windows, you *absolutely* should use the one for 64-bit PCs.

OP Offline
I do have 64 bit Windows. The next update will definitely be the 64 bit version of MAME smile

AMDFx(tm)-6120 Six-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
10 GB RAM 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
O
O
I'm also a bit lost here. What's the best way to update MAME to the latest version without losing or overwriting my settings from the version I had installed previously?

L
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
L
This is assuming windows, but works pretty similarly on osx/linux too:

1. rename your old c:\whatever\mame directory to c:\whatever\mame_old
2. download new mame files from http://mamedev.org/release.php and install them in c:\whatever\mame
3. copy mame.ini, mess.ini, arcade.ini from the mame_old directory to mame directory
4. copy the cfg, nvram, sav directories from mame_old to mame
5. if you keep roms in mame\roms, move (don't copy, since it is likely quite large) the roms directory from mame_old to mame. If you keep your roms elsewhere and have the path already set up in mame.ini or other .inis, disregard this step

If everything worked ok, you should have a functional new mame installation in the mame directory.
Please note that some .ini options may have been added since whenever your .ini files were created, so you may be missing some options. In this case, things may work fine, but if you optionally want to run on a bleeding edge .ini file, you can back up your old .ini file and run mame.exe -cc to create a new one, open both the new mame.ini and the old one you backed up in your favorite text editor and migrate the relevant settings by hand from the old one to the new one.
JD points out to just run mame -cc, and the new options will be added to the existing ini file.

LN

Last edited by Lord Nightmare; 08/31/16 11:32 PM. Reason: add note about -cc from JD

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
O
O
Perfect. Thank you for taking the time to explain it with clear, easy-to-follow steps. :-)

M
M
Would it make sense to think about an installer for Windows (msi) and maybe also deb/rpm and similar things for Linuxes and Mac?

There is certainly not much to do inside, and I'm actually happy with copying new releases over the old ones, but people also keep asking me. It could help new people to get over the first hurdle.

I just extract the newer MAME files into the old folder/directory.

Ant @ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By Lord Nightmare
Please note that some .ini options may have been added since whenever your .ini files were created, so you may be missing some options. in this case, things may work fine, but if you optionally want to run on a bleeding edge .ini file, you can back up your old .ini file and run mame.exe -cc to create a new one, open both the new mame.ini and the old one you backed up in your favorite text editor and migrate the relevant settings by hand from the old one to the new one.

Unnecessary. mame.exe -cc will update the .ini if one is already present, outputting any new options with their defaults and removing options which are no longer necessary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rik, 1 invisible), 23 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,071
Posts118,945
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com