Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hello,

I have experienced memory exhaustion when trying to build my RPMs updated to 0.186 on i686:
Code
Compiling src/mame/drivers/bfm_sc4.cpp...
g++    -MMD -MP -MP -DNDEBUG -DCRLF=2 -DLSB_FIRST -DXMD_H -DFLAC__NO_DLL -DNATIVE_DRC=drcbe_x86 -DLUA_COMPAT_ALL -DLUA_COMPAT_5_1 -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -I../../../../../src/osd -I../../../../../src/emu -I../../../../../src/devices -I../../../../../src/mame -I../../../../../src/lib -I../../../../../src/lib/util -I../../../../../src/lib/netlist -I../../../../../3rdparty -I../../../../generated/mame/layout -I../../../../../scripts   -m32 -pipe -Wno-deprecated-declarations -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -O2 -g1 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -m32 -march=i686 -mtune=atom -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wall -Wcast-align -Wundef -Wformat-security -Wwrite-strings -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-conversion -Wno-unused-result -Wno-array-bounds -m32 -x c++ -std=c++14 -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsuggest-override -flifetime-dse=1 -include ../../../../linux_gcc/obj/x32/Release/emu.h -o "../../../../linux_gcc/obj/x32/Release/src/mame/drivers/bfm_sc4.o" -c "../../../../../src/mame/drivers/bfm_sc4.cpp"
bfm.make:421: recipe for target '../../../../linux_gcc/obj/x32/Release/src/mame/drivers/bfm_sc4.o' failed
virtual memory exhausted: Operation not permitted
make[2]: *** [../../../../linux_gcc/obj/x32/Release/src/mame/drivers/bfm_sc4.o] Error 1

I was advised to reduce debuginfo size (already at -g1), but it made me wonder - is there any point of building mame on i686 these days anyway? Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by belegdol; 06/07/17 06:30 PM.
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
MAMEdev doesn't have formal guidance yet on this, but my feeling is that we'll probably declare 32-bit dead in the next 6 months or so. There aren't a ton of users and it's an increasingly outsized strain on the build process.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
You can cross-compile for 32-bit using a 64-bit compiler with the -m32 flag, but you can't compile with a 32-bit compiler. If you're using a 32-bit chroot, you're probably screwed.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Vas Crabb
You can cross-compile for 32-bit using a 64-bit compiler with the -m32 flag, but you can't compile with a 32-bit compiler. If you're using a 32-bit chroot, you're probably screwed.

This is unfortunately not going to work for RPM building, the packages must build natively [1]:
All builds have to happen in a native environment. this means cross compiling is not allowed, you can however use virtualisation to emulate your target system.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures#Buildsystems

Same issue on Ubuntu, I've been pointed to excessive size of source files failing to build:

Code
bfm.make:421: recipe for target 'obj/Release/src/mame/drivers/bfm_sc4.o' failed

barcrest.make:351: recipe for target 'obj/Release/src/mame/drivers/mpu4.o' failed

bfm.make:425: recipe for target 'obj/Release/src/mame/drivers/bfm_sc5.o' failed

Do you reckon lowering optimization level could help?

Please find the bug I reported here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad-buildd/+bug/1695903

Full building log available here:
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/3225...mame_0.186-1~ppa1~zesty1_BUILDING.txt.gz

Master of Sarcastic Wit
Linux User #182984
C
C
You're still removing linenoise? I replaced linenoise-ng so we don't have convertutf.c after someone complained that the console wasn't working in the debian package. I hoped you/they would remove that patch.

Originally Posted by crazyc
You're still removing linenoise? I replaced linenoise-ng so we don't have convertutf.c after someone complained that the console wasn't working in the debian package. I hoped you/they would remove that patch.

It's a licence matter AFAIK, I'll ask Jordi (Debian maintainer and author of the patch) if it's gone now.

Unapplying it won't help anyway, I had to remove optimization in order to have code built for i386.

Master of Sarcastic Wit
Linux User #182984
OP Offline
Originally Posted by crazyc

Which linenoise fork are you using? I tried to use system linenoise on Fedora, but it did not work. Fedora seems to use https://github.com/tadmarshall/linenoise

C
C
I used https://github.com/msteveb/linenoise which appears to be close to that one but I made some customizations to make it more like linenoise-ng so there aren't major changes from a user persective (specifically preloadbuffer which would prevent system linenoise from working).

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Duke, Pernod, r09), 22 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,913
Posts117,078
Members4,989
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com