Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Correct command-line for launching nes games #111737 12/19/17 10:25 PM
I
Isamu Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Hi guys. I like to launch my mame games from individual batch files. I can get my batch files to launch snes, Atari 2600, and Master System games, but for some reason nes games are not launching.

What is the exact command line for launching nes games?

For example I'm trying to launch Rad Racer. My bat file looks like this:

mame64.exe sms -cart C:\MAME0192SoftROMs\nes\radracer.zip

All my xml files are in the hash folder and my rom set is good per MAME Audit. Game works fine when launched from within QMC2 or MAME itself. What is incorrectly typed in my command line above?

The developers of MESS have my sincere gratitude. Thank you guys.
Re: Correct command-line for launching nes games [Re: Isamu] #111738 12/19/17 10:30 PM
Vas Crabb Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
"sms" is Sega Master System - did you try "nes" instead?

Re: Correct command-line for launching nes games [Re: Isamu] #111739 12/19/17 10:33 PM
I
Isamu Offline OP
OP Offline
I
That post is a typo. I meant to say nes. Yes it actually says nes in the file. Sorry. Still no luck though.

Re: Correct command-line for launching nes games [Re: Isamu] #111740 12/19/17 10:37 PM
I
Isamu Offline OP
OP Offline
I
The weird thing is that the bat file containing the command line for sms games, as well as the bat file for snes games and atari games all launch just fine. Only NES games don't launch. I should mention that the launch window pops up and says "Initializing...." for a very VERY brief nano-second, and then closes, indicating that the first part of the command is typed properly and that something is wrong with the part of the command naming the game. For the record I tried radracer.zip as well as nes-rc-0 prg and still no luck.

Re: Correct command-line for launching nes games [Re: Isamu] #111741 12/19/17 10:38 PM
J
Justin Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
J
Does it output any messages if you run the .bat from a command line?

Last edited by Justin; 12/19/17 10:38 PM.
Re: Correct command-line for launching nes games [Re: Isamu] #111742 12/19/17 10:45 PM
I
Isamu Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Good idea....but how do I run the bat from the commandline prompt?

Re: Correct command-line for launching nes games [Re: Isamu] #111743 12/19/17 10:59 PM
H
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
you're trying to list a softlist rom with the full-path syntax

for nes that simply isn't going to work, because without the softlist association it doesn't know how to load that file

the correct launch syntax is
mame64 nes radraceru
or
mame64 nespal radracer

if you have the correct roms, and C:\MAME0192SoftROMs\ in your rompath then it should work.

fullpath only works for ines format stuff where it can use the fake headers to work out where bits go, the softlist files are split per-chip without fake headers similar to arcade dumps in MAME instead.

as a rule fullpath should only be used to load otherwise unsupported titles that aren't part of the softlist, otherwise unique hardware in the cartridges might not be emulated properly, that applies to all systems, not just NES.

Re: Correct command-line for launching nes games [Re: Haze] #111745 12/19/17 11:31 PM
I
Isamu Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by Haze
you're trying to list a softlist rom with the full-path syntax

for nes that simply isn't going to work, because without the softlist association it doesn't know how to load that file

the correct launch syntax is
mame64 nes radraceru
or
mame64 nespal radracer

if you have the correct roms, and C:\MAME0192SoftROMs\ in your rompath then it should work.

fullpath only works for ines format stuff where it can use the fake headers to work out where bits go, the softlist files are split per-chip without fake headers similar to arcade dumps in MAME instead.

as a rule fullpath should only be used to load otherwise unsupported titles that aren't part of the softlist, otherwise unique hardware in the cartridges might not be emulated properly, that applies to all systems, not just NES.

I have absolute confidence that what you just wrote is 110% correct.....yet it still went right over my head LOL. But anyway I kinda see what you're getting at. So I typed it just the way you wrote and voila.....it worked! Haze you always come through for us bro. Thanks! smile

Now if it's not too much trouble, would you mind telling what the command-line parameters are for launching Amiga games? I'm assuming it's similar but with them being floppy disks but I know something has to be typed differently.

Re: Correct command-line for launching nes games [Re: Isamu] #111746 12/19/17 11:51 PM
H
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
you're not very likely to be able to use most Amiga software if launched from the commandline anyway as a lot of it requires extensive disk swaps which means going into the interface anyway

also compatibility with the softlisted images is almost 0% anyway, because it doesn't work well with copy protected stuff, and even for non-protected stuff the Amiga emulation isn't worth talking about when it comes to games.

stick with WinUAE...

likewise for the PC drivers, while they're much better in terms of compatibility, you're not going to launch anything from the commandline really as the majority of it will require you to go through the process of actually installing dos / windows etc. from those disks before you even think about using / installing the software. MAME doesn't have a 'prebuilt' Windows PC driver with the OS already installed and drivers configured etc.

in cases like that, remember, MAME is an emulator, not an easy way to play games.

Re: Correct command-line for launching nes games [Re: Isamu] #111747 12/20/17 12:17 AM
I
Isamu Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Gotcha. Thanks and much appreciate the education on this topic. I haven't messed around with MAME in a couple years now, so in the back of my mind I was wondering how Amiga emulation was coming along. Sounds like it's progressing albeit slowly, but it's all good. I will take your advice and use WinUAE, which I've used in the past. Good emulator by the way. smile

With MAME I will stick with arcade, cart based systems and CD-rom based systems for quick launching via bat file. Would it be OK if I asked you to confirm whether or not launching CHDs from CD-based systems such as PSX or Saturn from within a bat file is as simple as cart based systems? Obviously I need to point mame to my CHDs so that's a given, but anything else I should know? Gonna play around with it now and see if I get anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 49 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,818
Posts116,083
Members4,915
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020