Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
After all this time, and with it being such a common need, why isn't no nag screens with technical information like resolution, etc. a setting in MAME itself? It could be an ini file setting or a command line flag. Is there something I am missing as to why this wouldn't be a very simple code change and a necessary feature? It really make no sense to have to go through the onerous (and technical) process of having people do their own full recompile or search for a version that someone else has created, especially since we would have to do this every month. Thanks!

H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
because people turn off the warning information screens, forget about it, and report bugs and have an overall negative emulation experience when things don't work properly or have glitches they didn't see any warning about.

the builds removing them remain the #1 cause of invalid support issues.

I'd support an option if it ALSO disabled everything in MAME that would otherwise trigger a warning (make those sets completely invisible and impossible to run) but the warnings are essential information, not nags. If there is information to be displayed it needs to be displayed. Contrary to popular belief it isn't making a worse user experience, it's providing a far better one as people know exactly what to expect. The noise is coming from an ungrateful and selfish minority, not those who are appreciating being told and learning from it.

The resolution etc. information screen can be removed with an option already as there's nothing important on it.

Making an official way to remove the warnings would be removing an important source of information and would multiply the support issues no end.

The silent majority of users are best served by the warnings being present, so that whenever they launch something with issues they're aware of the nature of the issues they will face. The warnings take literally a single key press on each launch to bypass, this is not a captcha, your cat could do it. There is no reason to even entertain the thoughts of the vocal minority recklessly demanding they be optional.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
There's 2 lots of screens, one has the technical stuff, resolution, cpu used and so on. You can turn that off in the ini file. I think it's called game_info or similar.

The other screen tells you if the game is not working, or has some other problem. These cannot be turned off, and mamedev frowns upon anyone who does (although being an open-source project it's not illegal).

Just remember, if you encounter a bug or other issue, you MUST confirm it on the official MAME from mamedev.org, before reporting it.Otherwise you might be wasting people's time.

As you can see, there's no point requesting an option to remove this screen, as it isn't going to happen.

F
OP Offline
F
Thanks to you both. That explains where we are. @Haze is this a particularly sensitive issue for you? "The noise is coming from an ungrateful and selfish minority, not those who are appreciating being told and learning from it." I think that judgment is completely without factual evidence. I am not ungrateful or selfish and very appreciative of all the efforts of the many who contribute to the hobby. I did not know #Robbbert that I can disable the game info screens. THAT is really all I need and when I find that and test it, I will correct another forum that mentioned this could not be done without a recompile.

I like the idea of the other warnings being able to be disabled, but also disable the roms. I can see where people would then report bugs that are already known if the warnings were disabled. I tend to not run any roms that have significant problems anyway, like no sound or unusually poor graphic emulation. Thanks again to you both.

H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Yes, it's a sensitive issue for me as I've done a lot of support work for the project and like to help people with issues.

We occasionally get people screaming very loudly about how those screens need to go away for all sorts of silly reasons ('authentic arcade experience' being a key one, even if no emulation that is flagged is going to be authentic regardless of if you remove the screens, because they're telling you about things that will prevent it from being authentic in the first place!)

But in reality the situation is that people will run a game, see the warnings, know what to expect (not working at all, bad graphics, no sound etc.) and as a result know that the errors they're seeing are not their fault, not something they can change (unless they decide to fix the driver) and simply move on or accept the issues. This is a big part of the positive user experience, the project is honest and upfront about things with the user.

Personally I'd like it if the screens were a bit more verbose, possibly linked with a bug database containing fuller descriptions to help even further (as sometimes problems are non-obvious until later on in game etc.) but as it stands they're already a lifesaver for many users.

It's the people running hacked builds with them removed, or turned off that cause issues, because the safety net isn't there, the warnings aren't there, they end up thinking they've done something wrong, or there's a bug in the version they're using, when really what they're seeing is expected behaviour they should have been informed about. Usually these same people get very aggressive when you point out it's actually their problem for turning off the warnings because they think they have some god-given right to do so. Other times users end up feeling embarrassed because they've been tricked into downloading a build with them missing, or followed bad advice and turned them off. For the less aggressive users they typically learn from this and don't repeat the same mistake in the future, realizing that really the official builds are more helpful. In both cases it's a waste of my time / the time of anybody else providing them with support tho.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Even calling these "nag screens" is a very real trigger for most of the team at this point. They all contain useful, actionable information. Even the technical info - if you see a 200 MHz CPU, you don't really need to post asking why the game is only 40 FPS.

A
A
Originally Posted by FlightRisk
Thanks to you both. That explains where we are. @Haze is this a particularly sensitive issue for you? "The noise is coming from an ungrateful and selfish minority, not those who are appreciating being told and learning from it." I think that judgment is completely without factual evidence. I am not ungrateful or selfish and very appreciative of all the efforts of the many who contribute to the hobby. I did not know #Robbbert that I can disable the game info screens. THAT is really all I need and when I find that and test it, I will correct another forum that mentioned this could not be done without a recompile.

I like the idea of the other warnings being able to be disabled, but also disable the roms. I can see where people would then report bugs that are already known if the warnings were disabled. I tend to not run any roms that have significant problems anyway, like no sound or unusually poor graphic emulation. Thanks again to you both.

This whole thing could have been mitigated if you had just nicely asked if there’s a way to turn off game info, which there is: game_info in the INI, but no, you had to ask about why we’re too stupid to make a ‘simple code change’ to help people who think building from source is too ‘technical’ (the irony of that statement is what I’m trying to present, but it will probably go over your head).

It’s like asking why so much work is being done on slots instead of the NES driver. Devs don’t have to justify to the users what they choose to work on and why they decide what they decide. Emulators that overcater to users always turn to shit in the long run.

S
S
Originally Posted by FlightRisk
I think that judgment is completely without factual evidence.

You forget how old this project is. If someone were to gather all the factual evidence and print it out there would be no more pinewood left to make swedish safety matches.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (r09), 21 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,085
Posts119,077
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com