Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A question concerning driving controls #116947 02/26/20 02:51 AM
M
MAMEBase Online Content OP
OP Online Content
M
I'm working on adding driving controls to a project of mine, and a couple of questions came up that I hadn't considered when it comes to MAME's control system;

I've got the steering wheel sorted, and I have options regarding a gas pedal (more on that in a bit). The primary question concerns the gear shift.

I've gone with a microswitch based High/Low gear shift. When the lever is in one position, the microswitch is on, and off when it's in the other position. Simple, right?

The complication arises in MAME's handling of a gear shift situation (Let's use Out Run as an example).

To shift between High, and Low gears, one presses, and releases the Spacebar (by default, I believe).

Obviously, a 'real' gearshift control cannot duplicate the action of pressing and releasing a key every time it's moved from one position to the other, so my question is; Is there a setting in MAME that allows for one gear to be recognized by a sustained keypress, and the other to be recognized by the absence of said keypress?

Also, would I be better served by the addition of a microswitch based gas pedal, or one based on the input of a potentiometer?

(I'm sure this question must have come up before, in some forum somewhere, but I trust the folks who hang out here... smile )

The following statement is true...
The preceding statement is false.
Re: A question concerning driving controls [Re: MAMEBase] #116948 02/26/20 10:05 AM
R
RomKnight Offline
R
As far as I know, you'd be better off using some pedals like the logitech's g27 or so, because the game's use potentiometer as well.

Than being said, in arcade it's usually an on/off thing so i'm not sure you'd miss by using a push button. Outrun though, does have a perfect off the line (and after crash) trick to avoid spinning and that it's surely more difficult to achieve without analog control.

Regarding the shifter: https://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/shiftertoggle.html

Re: A question concerning driving controls [Re: MAMEBase] #116949 02/26/20 12:10 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
For the majority of driving games, an analog gas pedal is definitely the way to go, yeah.

Re: A question concerning driving controls [Re: MAMEBase] #116952 02/26/20 09:05 PM
M
MAMEBase Online Content OP
OP Online Content
M
Yes!

That's exactly what I needed to know!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

As far as the gas pedal goes, it looks like I'll be going with an analog version (I can support either, and Suzo Happ makes both...)

The following statement is true...
The preceding statement is false.

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Pernod), 50 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,782
Posts115,562
Members4,908
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020