Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Spinner Setup Help? #117091 03/29/20 08:45 PM
S
Spazmier Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am new to this whole MAME arcade cabinet stuff, so forgive me if I am missing something simple. I have embarked on making my own MAME arcade cabinet. I have a PC running Windows 7, and the Joysticks and buttons I have are working great.

I have purchased a spinner: Arcade Spinner for Arcade1Up
and a 12in1 board: Arcade1Up 12 in 1 Interface Board

I have them connected to my Windows 7 box, and the spinner will move the mouse cursor in windows up and down. So the USB/driver connection to the PC and windows driver is all good. I have not yet been able to ghet the spinner to work with MAME.

I tried using the in-mage TAB menus. Usually I can click on a control option to change, press the button (or move joystick), then MAME recognizes it and uses it. However, I can rotate my spinner all I want, and MAME doesn't recognize it. It will recognize the mouse movements. I tried enabling Multi-Mouse, but that didn't seem to do the trick. I am obviously missing something. Any suggestions?

(Video of my initial "plans" for the build)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Steve

Re: Spinner Setup Help? [Re: Spazmier] #117092 03/29/20 10:47 PM
R
RomKnight Online Content
Online Content
R
Well, first of, I *think* the spinner should move in the x-axis. You should check the wires.

Not saying it wont work in mame like that, but i don't recall any spinner connected like that.

In mame.ini you should have the line below like mouse too.
dial_device mouse
But maybe you also need:
paddle_device mouse

If you want to see it in mame internal ui i think ui_mouse 1 should also be set.

Re: Spinner Setup Help? [Re: Spazmier] #117093 03/29/20 11:26 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Axis shouldn't matter, but yeah, the xxx_device mouse settings are important.

Re: Spinner Setup Help? [Re: RomKnight] #117094 03/30/20 03:37 PM
S
Spazmier Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you @RomKnight and @R.Belmont! I didn't know about these settings...I will try them when I get home from work and report back.

Re: Spinner Setup Help? [Re: Spazmier] #117096 03/31/20 04:33 AM
S
Spazmier Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I've tried the suggested changes to the mame.ini file.
Changed Multimouse to 1 (was 0)
Changed dial_device to mouse (was keyboard)
Added paddle_device mouse (was absent from mame.ini)
Left ui_mouse alojne, as it was already set to 1

Still no go. When I am in a game, and use the TAB menu to set the controls, I double click on "dial analog" with the mouse, and then if I wiggle the mouse, MAME detects it and changes this to "Mouse 1 Y" or something similar. Then, in game, the mouse can control the game (I am testing with Tempest BTW). Spinner does nothing.

If I double click on "dial analog" and then spin my spinner, the pointer moves up and down on the screen slowly (same as if I was moving the mouse up or down slowly), but MAME does NOT recognize it as an input. I can spin forever, and nothing.

Worries me a bit when you say you haven't heard of a spinner connected like that. But it works in windows...and it moves the mouse pointer in MAME too...So I am assuming I _should_ be able to get this to work in game?

Thanks for any further suggestions!

Steve

Re: Spinner Setup Help? [Re: Spazmier] #117097 03/31/20 07:23 AM
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Is it actually an HID mouse, or does it have a driver that works by injecting high-level window events? Did you try changing the mouse provider from raw input to win32?

Re: Spinner Setup Help? [Re: Spazmier] #117098 03/31/20 04:19 PM
S
Spazmier Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks @VasCrabb, It comes up in Device Manager as a "HID-compliant mouse", same as my actual mouse (so I have two of these entries under "Mice and other pointing devices").

I didn't know about the mouse provider settings...mouseprovider was set to auto. I tried raw, and the command line tells me it is not supported. Tried win32, and it didn't seem to help (but I have left it set)

I also found, under "Advanced options" and then "Input Options", there is Mouse listed, and it was set to Off. When I turn this on, then my mouse pointer acts "wonky"...when I try to use the mouse to move around the MAME menus, it is like the mouse pointer keeps returning to the same location...moves a bit and then "bounces back"...I am so confused. However, when I enter the game, and use the TAB menu to set the dial, I can move my actual mouse vertically to set it, and then the spinner works in-game. YAY! Except that my mouse doesn't work in the menu system. Can't have everything I suppose. frown But I am a step closer.

BTW: I tried changing the mouseprovider back to auto. Mouse now again works properly in the MAME menu, but the spinner no longer works in-game.

Looks like two key settings I was missing. mouseprovider=win32, and Advanced Options->Input Options->Mouse=On.

Any idea why the mouse no longer works in the MAME menu screens? Maybe it is confused by the two inputs (spinner and mouse)?

Re: Spinner Setup Help? [Re: Spazmier] #117117 04/02/20 09:37 PM
S
Spazmier Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thought I would pass on an update. Spinner is now working properly!!!

Turns out there were some dip switches on the spinner itself. It comes defaulted with all three switches off...switching all three to ON, increases the sensitivity a tonne. Now I just need to play with the analog sensitivity settings in-game. All good!!!

Re: Spinner Setup Help? [Re: Spazmier] #117118 04/03/20 01:25 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Great! Glad you got it working.

Re: Spinner Setup Help? [Re: Spazmier] #117119 04/03/20 01:46 PM
R
RomKnight Online Content
Online Content
R
I would never think of dip switches on a spinner!

hint: google for 'spinner turn count' and you should get to the supposed sensitivity settings to use on a few games so they are closer to the feel of the original arcade.

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Heihachi_73), 50 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,775
Posts115,470
Members4,899
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020