Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Banjo Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi,

I'm a huge fan of Amstrad PCs and would love to see as many of them emulated as possible, in whatever way. I use PCem for PC emulation, but I was directed here by a friend when asking about available (or lack of) Amstrad PC BIOS files for that emulator.

I know almost nothing about MESS although I've certainly used MAME a lot in the past. I was told to check the list for MESS "undumped" and "wanted" machines, and indeed the one I was wanting to emulate - the Amstrad PC5286 - is on the list, meaning I presume that nobody has ever dumped the bios and made it available online?

After several years of both searching and trying to get my own old PC5286 to boot, I finally obtained the dumped main and VGA BIOS for the Amstrad PC5286. I would like to see it preserved, and maybe even emulated someday, but for that it needs to be available to others more technically skilled than I am.

So... who do I share this with to have "Amstrad PC5286" change from "wanted" to "dumped" on your lists?

PS I also noted that the Amstrad PC7486SLC33 is on the "wanted" list; I have recently bought one and when it arrives, I would be happy to dump its bios personally if I can, too.

PPS I hope this is in the right section; mods please move it if not!

O
O
Hi and welcome. The normal contact for new dumps is [Linked Image from wiki.mamedev.org] (or go to https://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/Submitting_Source_Code ). We'll be interested if you can also identify the actual chips present on the motherboard (cpu, northbridge, southbridge, everything :-).

OG.

Last edited by R. Belmont; 03/18/21 07:33 PM. Reason: Spam guard the submission address by request.
B
Banjo Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi!

I can definitely inspect the board on the PC7486 I have coming, however my (non-working) PC5286 is in storage and the machine that was the source of the BIOS dump isn't mine. I have asked if they can identify the chips when they get chance, though.

For now, I have uploaded the PC5286 dump on my blog (https://banjosmods.wordpress.com/2021/03/18/amstrad-pc5286-bios-dump/) just to make sure they're online somewhere, but if you think it's best I email the address you mentioned too, I can do that when I have the chance.

Honestly, my perfect outcome is being able to emulate these PCs, but at worst I just want to see these machines preserved as best possible, as they were a big part of my life. smile

1 member likes this: ICEknight
> I know almost nothing about MESS although I've certainly used MAME a lot in the past. I was told to check the list for MESS "undumped" and "wanted" machines, and indeed the one I was wanting to emulate - the Amstrad PC5286 - is on the list

Note that there is no MESS anymore, it is now integrated into MAME. Has been for a few years. So if the list you searched still mentions MESS, it means that it is at least ~5 years old and might be severely out of date. In your case it's correct, but don't rely on it too much for other systems

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
From the few pictures available online, one of the chips used is a C&T F82C452.

Edit ... and that seems to be a graphics card chip.

Last edited by rfka01; 03/18/21 12:51 PM.

NCR DMV- DEC Rainbow- Siemens PCD- ITT 3030-Oly People- Acorn A5000- Olivetti M20
B
Banjo Offline OP
OP Offline
B
My friend who dumped it for me sent the following info:

Chipset: CHIPS F82C235-12 16MHz (Single Chip AT)
CHIPS F82C710 A - I/O Controller
CHIPS F82C452 50MHz for the Graphics
Analog Device ADV476KP35E RAMDAC

Hope that helps!

... but they've promised to send detailed photos when they can (they're working on the PC so have it open a lot)

Last edited by Banjo; 03/18/21 03:11 PM.
Datasheets for the chipset and the graphics chip

The I/O chip is a bit elusive....

S
S
Didn't find a 82C710 datasheet, there is one for the 82C711 however which is apparently pretty close. Doesn't seem like anything special really, just your standard PC compatible I/O stuff with a few extra configuration registers thrown in.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Just chucking the ROM into the 286 atturbo driver shows "003" with a flashing cursor over the first two zeros.

NCR DMV- DEC Rainbow- Siemens PCD- ITT 3030-Oly People- Acorn A5000- Olivetti M20
S
S
Originally Posted by Darkstar
> I know almost nothing about MESS although I've certainly used MAME a lot in the past. I was told to check the list for MESS "undumped" and "wanted" machines, and indeed the one I was wanting to emulate - the Amstrad PC5286 - is on the list

Note that there is no MESS anymore, it is now integrated into MAME. Has been for a few years. So if the list you searched still mentions MESS, it means that it is at least ~5 years old and might be severely out of date. In your case it's correct, but don't rely on it too much for other systems

The list(s) he's mentioned is the "Undumped" ones at "Duke's wiki" of mess.redump.net - which used to be at www.mess.org before Sean repossessed the domain name (after the "death"/afterlife of MESS.)

I even still actually sometimes update those lists, I think the last time was mid-late 2019. gregf of MAMEWorld had been sending me updates of what to remove, he's good at projects like that. smile
But generally speaking, all that content at mess.redump.net is better to be updated and merged into mamedev.org / wiki.mamedev.org / docs.mamedev.org and many other places (the "Undumped" stuff -had been- in the progress of being moved to the Undumped Wiki in late 2019), a big project that simply needs a lot more volunteers. People like myself and Firehawke have done what we can but sometimes you simply have to backburner something like that and move onto other things.

Also, happy to see that you've found one of my other haunts, Banjo - this is a better place to discuss these things than vogons.org smile

Last edited by Stiletto; 03/19/21 05:51 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (MAMEBase, AJR), 46 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,933
Posts117,404
Members4,994
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com