Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
Originally Posted by hiddenkabar
Originally Posted by Haze
Originally Posted by hiddenkabar
Originally Posted by Heihachi_73
Going by the name mameppk, I'm assuming by the letter K being in there that it's some hacked up build including k******a netplay code and a bonus trojan with it.
I dont want stupid answers, thanks.

somebody warning you that the builds your using can be used to remotely hack your PC with ease isn't a stupid answer, it's helpful and responsible.

Yes, but that is not what im asking (He didnt even answer the question), besides I always scan .exe files before opening them, sorry if I was rude

Scanning exe files won't help that situation, the protocol's design is/was vulnerable and originally it required that you open way too many holes in your firewall.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Yeah, viruses in the exe isn't the problem with Kaillera, the problem is that script kiddies can trivially hijack your computer while you're playing online. The actual network interactions are the vulnerability, because they were designed in the early 2000s when things like Sandworm were science fiction.

H
H
When you mentioned sandworm, I could only think of "Harkonnen vee-hickle destroyed". I can't think how many hours I wasted on Dune II back in 1994/95 on a friend's awesome 486, which even had a sound card (my lowly 286 had an amber monochrome monitor, no sound card, and didn't even have Windows, just bare old MS-DOS).

And yes, when I mentioned trojans I was pointing to the fact that back in the day a lot of hacked programs from shady websites actually did have malware included as part of the package (usually via installers, SFX archives etc. but sometimes in the main executable as well). It wasn't just emulators, it was a lot of useful things like "full" shareware programs with the crippleware/time limits patched or cracked commercial software (tell me you didn't want to rar everything 20 years ago because zip files were up to a third larger; I still had a 2GB hard drive in 2001). Of course 0.129 is well beyond the 1998-2003 era of Win9x/XP viruses but it's still something I remember quite well. I also learned something today, the K word isn't actually censored here, some emulation forums had blocked the word entirely, hence the asterisks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (gspat, robcfg), 38 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,933
Posts117,404
Members4,994
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com