Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by mizapf
Sorry for disturbing you.

The floppy sound support was mainly designed and added by me; if you have access to the forum on AtariAge you could have quickly asked me.

Still, I wonder why so many people complain about the sound. I'd never turn it off again, it is extremely helpful to watch the operation, you know things are still working, and I find it quite close to the real thing. To some extend I'm actually a bit proud how nicely it works. If you know Ninerpedia you can find an article about the technique behind.

I'd recommend to pull down the sliders for the volume. You should know about the OSD menu and where to find it.

yes I can understand. And thanks for designing sounds but you have to understand that i donĀ“t like it, i have problems with it.

Imagine i park with my car at night in front of your house with hifi full throttle power heavy metal music on,
and i say then: i wonder why so many people complain about the sound smile smile sorry but maybe this makes it clear a little bit for you
understanding that people are different and what is normal for you not usually is normal for other people.
If understanding is not possible then just accepting can help not to wonder

ps yes i saw the pedia and Atariage but it is tons of information but no answers at all. maybe answers somwehre, ok, but cannot find.
i am somehow old and cannot waste hours or fully days to get answer on easy questions so i prefer ask here.
so or so, thanks you

M
OP Offline
M
ah sorry one more question again maybe - for a small compendium of this commandline parameters ? the shorter the better smile

And maybe some examples explict for Geneve 9640 computer that fuilly works. ok i know i have to change medianames and so
i have it running by trying but maybe there are some fine tricks or cheats to optimize that i want know today and not in x years by coincedence smile smile

thanks

M
M
Please don't misunderstand me, I won't doubt that you don't like the sound, and I accept it, of course. Now you've got some tips how to turn it off.

Nevertheless, when you get the impression that some people dislike or outrightly hate something that you spent a lot of thoughts and efforts on, and where you eventually reached a satisfying result, it may possibly be understandable that this is does not feel really good and motivating. But that's life, I guess. There are also people who like it, so what.

Anyway, about the Geneve: There is a bit too much to explain about; the MAME forum is not the best location for that. Please ask your questions on AtariAge; you will surely get a lot of support. Or we can do that by private messages here. Send me a message.

Online Content
Maybe MAME is not the right emulator for you. It generally assumes that the user is familiar with the original system that is emulated, and doesn't hold your hand with hacks or shortcuts to streamline the experience. This is, after all, the focus of MAME: to be as accurate to the original as possible (and yes, that includes the floppy sounds). If you have never used a Geneve computer before there might be other emulators that are more beginner-friendly that you might want to try

O
O
Originally Posted by Darkstar
If you have never used a Geneve computer before there might be other emulators that are more beginner-friendly that you might want to try

Or, in other words, our user experience sucks for computers and we really need to do something about it. Thankfully, we are working on it, but there's a lot of way to go...

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Not to mention that there is no better TI 9-series or Geneve emulator out there at the moment, as far as I'm aware. mizapf has put a lot of effort into bringing MESS (and subsequently MAME) up to top-of-the-pops status on that one.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Olivier Galibert
Or, in other words, our user experience sucks for computers
I wouldn't put it that harshly, but yes, the experience for newcomers seems to be a bit lacking, something I can confirm from personal experience setting up (and explaining) MAME to multiple not-too-tech-savvy people.

Originally Posted by Just Desserts
Not to mention that there is no better TI 9-series or Geneve emulator out there at the moment
Probably true, yes. I never claimed there was. But there are more user-friendly ones out there (e.g. Classic99, which uses standard windows UI and menus and things, which helps a lot). And I admit I thought the Geneve was just a generic TI99 clone, but it seems I was mistaken, so yeah, if you want to emulate that particular model, then MAME is probably your best (and only) bet.

M
M
Concerning the floppy sounds, one could also think about a switch in mame.ini or the command line to turn of "physical sounds" completely, that is, those that are not produced by the software in the emulated system. This is currently the floppy and the MM1 keyboard. Maybe we once have printer emulations with sound; would be covered as well. Just a thought.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by mizapf
Concerning the floppy sounds, one could also think about a switch in mame.ini or the command line to turn of "physical sounds" completely, that is, those that are not produced by the software in the emulated system. This is currently the floppy and the MM1 keyboard. Maybe we once have printer emulations with sound; would be covered as well. Just a thought.

Then you have to put the 130db fans sound from the TI-99 periphal box into the emulation too. ouch

to answer the other people here - Mame is the only emulator for Geneve 9640 so yes Mame is the right emu for me
yes i have geneve system in hardware and also have technical background
but what can i do if no manual from Mame given or on wiki is nothing to find quick ? before i read hours and hours for small question i prefer asking gurus. but gurus dont like easy question - all people i talk have easy question for Mame but no working answer. the question are easy every time but too easy and so support makes bla bla complicated and have 1. no answer or 2 complicated answer - for easy question that is important
See Classic99 you talked about has manual and is 1 click installation and works intuitive everyone can use - classic99 will work when we all are no more longer here
sorry, you say and i answer directly smile good night and thank you very much that i got it running without sound smile

M
M
Once again, please send me a private message via this forum, and I'll prove you that I am not one of your Gurus.

1 member likes this: MameBuster
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
6 members (Golden Child, Dam0, Pernod, r09, 2 invisible), 38 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,921
Posts117,204
Members4,989
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com