Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TSCHAK Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Is it possible to attach a bw2 framebuffer (and sun keyboard) to a sun2_120 ?

I am trying to make a very comprehensive video on the impact of multitasking to personal computing, and have been trying to use TME's SUN2-MULTIBUS machine definition to run SunOS 2.0 and SunTools, and it's proven to be....very....painful....on multiple levels.

-Thom

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
You mean in MAME? Desktop sun2s do have a bw2 framebuffer, but currently no disk support, so it's not possible to run an OS.

T
TSCHAK Offline OP
OP Offline
T
darn.

I have a disk image (150mb, geometry is a Micropolis 1355), with SunOS 3.2, and all of the distribution tapes installed (including SunTools), if that would be useful.

-Thom

Last edited by TSCHAK; 05/13/21 10:45 PM.

T
TSCHAK Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Have tried this emulator (which is much faster than TME), but it blows chunks any time it tries to run anything suntools related. This includes the setup.

it's depressing as hell frown

-Thom

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I missed the earlier replies on this thread, but yes Thom, an already-installed disk image would definitely be helpful.

T
TSCHAK Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Here you go: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oTV6gj5Hsw9oWqqJErzYuPdfG6wiIQfB/view?usp=sharing

This is a raw disk image set up as a Micropolis 1355 connected to an Emulex SCSI controller. (It's one of the pre-defined disk setups for SunOS 3.2), geometry is 1024 cyl, 8 heads, 36 sectors, 512 bytes/sector.

no user accounts, it boots right into root. 'suntools' starts suntools.

Virtually every single part of the three SunOS 3.2 distribution tapes is installed, this includes all the development tools and associated files.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'd give anything if this were working, because good god, TME sucks so badly. (The display thread only updates every half a second, making real usage somewhat like skating on one leg.)

-Thom

Last edited by TSCHAK; 06/06/21 03:56 AM.
J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
TSCHAK, what time frame are you looking at?

The sun4c machines regressed a couple years ago when I started implementing cache support. The long and short of it is that the SPARCstation 2 introduced a far more demanding cache memory test during the initial boot-up than what the SPARCstation 1 and its derivatives have. In the process of making those tests happy, I ended up making the SunOS 4.1 installer unhappy.

If you're really pressed for time, I can submit a pull request tomorrow to temporarily stub out all of the cache functionality that I added, in order to preserve the working nature of those initial sun4c machines. If you're really really pressed for time, you could then sync to my fork and build a working binary off of it, so that you're not held up by waiting on PR approval - as I imagine the argument of "I want to stub out this arguably better code in favor of code that pretends the cache doesn't even exist" could get a bit spicy.

T
TSCHAK Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I think i'm okay for now with SPARC, qemu-machine-sparc works well enough for that.

My only hole at the moment remains to be sun2/sun3, as TME sucks so badly.

-Thom

P
P
I did start to do a bit of work on Sun3 quite some time ago, and if I recall correctly there are two main issues at this point:
  • our 68020 MMU stuff sucks
  • am9516 emulation is incomplete

Neither of these are insurmountable problems, they just require some energy and dedication. I'll probably get back to the am5916 soon, because there are at least two other systems that need it, but I haven't found the energy/interest in trying to sort out the '020 MMU stuff.

Sun3x at least avoids the MMU issue, but I think it has significantly different DMA/IOMMU hardware (maybe more similar to Sun4) that's also a big "to do".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (algrun, 1 invisible), 16 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,019
Posts118,457
Members5,011
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com