Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#119167 05/15/21 01:55 PM
OP Offline
I noticed that the mac drivers are capable of booting from cdrom now so I tried installing System 7.5.3 on the macii machines. Unfortunately when I try to format the drive I get the following error:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I used the following commandline to create the chd:
Code
chdman createhd -o os753.chd -chs 2048,16,63 
And the following commandline to start the emulation:
Code
mame maciivx -ramsize 64M -cdrom "e:\Apple Mac OS 7.5.3\System753.iso" -hard os753.chd
Am I missing something?

Last edited by arcadefan; 05/15/21 01:55 PM.
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
You’ll probably need a patched version of Apple HD SC Setup or a different partitioning utility, because MAME’s emulated SCSI hard disk doesn’t look like an Apple-branded drive.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Even the patched version of Apple HD SC Setup doesn't work - it hates nscsi/new 5380 for reasons I haven't yet figured out. Drive Setup will work, as will third-party formatters like FWB. If you *want* to DIY it, get the Apple Legacy Recovery CD and boot it on maciici to run Drive Setup. If you install "for any Mac" the resulting HDD will work on any capable Mac model in MAME.

And as always, you can get pre-installed HDD images via the wiki page: https://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/Driver:Mac_68K

1 member likes this: arcadefan
OP Offline
Cool. That worked perfectly, thanks! One more question if I did a writeup on how to install the Mac System Software would it be ok to link to the Apple Legacy Recovery CD or no?

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I've just posted a writeup/guide with screenshots and a link here.

Hello all,

I realized my step-by-step guide for installing MacOS was completely outdated and was running into some issues rewriting it when just stumbled on this thread. I think it might be related yet I don't know if what I found can be useful. If by chance it is ...

I noticed my previous method for generating Mac formatted CHDs doesn't work anymore, running into the same issue as described here.
While pulling my hair trying various combinations of OSes and versions of Apple HD SC Setup, I serendipitously found an old piece of technical specs of the Apple HD 20, the first Hard Drive released for the Mac : https://web.archive.org/web/20110516050729/http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=1306

It describes the technical innards of it, complete with 305 Tracks, 4 Heads, 32 Sectors ... and a surprising 532 bytes per Block, if I understand it correctly.

I figured I might as well try it, using chdman and adding "-ss 532" to the command line. Sure enough, when doing so, the chdman output "Logical size" matches the "Data Capacity" from the aforementioned spec sheet : 20 769 280 Bytes. Yet, It's probably not directly related to the problem at hand, but mame just burst into flame in a segfault when trying to mount such disk.

I hope it can help tracking down the "Apple HD SC Setup" problem...

and also, I just discovered your guide RB, it's just great :-) much easier than my previous one. Would you mind if I base my rewrite for the wiki on your work ?

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
HD SC Setup doesn't work, but Drive Setup 1.5 does, which is why my guide uses it :-)

Which wiki are you talking about? I have a page up for 68K Macs, including a condensed version of my new guide, here: https://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/Driver:Mac_68K

You're welcome to borrow the content though.

tell me I'm late at the party, I think your guide is well documented enough, great work. I will contribute if I see anything missing tho. I had a three part step-by-step guide on the now apparently mostly defunct mess.redump.net, back when MacOS 7 wasn't supposed to work 😊 ( http://mess.redump.net/howto/create_large_mac_hds if you want a good laugh, the workaround I found was overly complex at the time)

I do remember clearly using the HD SC Setup back then (and it's what I used in my guide), it was quirky (I had to switch between non-patched and patched versions to format a drive) but it somewhat worked. But yeah I guess it probably worked for the wrong reasons. I hope you'll find the problem with SCSI drives.

H
H
The guide's usage of the name MESS shows its age. That said, I think there are still a few instances of "MESS" in the MAME source code where the comments haven't been updated. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (hap, Dorando, 1 invisible), 21 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,071
Posts118,945
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com