Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
L
Since the information was already deleted from the parent post and I never got to read it, I did some poking around the forums where this was developed. It looks like it is Teensy 4.1 based, which is similar to the teensy core used by the applesauce.

I'm stumped as to why the flux storage format is proprietary/undocumented, and completely agree with all the posters above wondering why the heck someone would do something like this in 2021.

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
rfka01 Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
OK folks, let's end this travesty. If someone can, delete this thread.

- there are people doing things for their hobby, helping others preserve their hardware
- I come along and ask nicely if they can contribute their dumps to MAME
- in this process I need to introduce MAME dev to their dumping process
- everyone turns on them rather than saying "thanks for sharing your dumps"

This is no better behaviour than what MAMEDev are accusing the so called hoarders, because the Fluxcopy people aren't.

NCR DMV- DEC Rainbow- Siemens PCD- ITT 3030-Oly People- Acorn A5000- Olivetti M20
L
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
L
I'm not disagreeing about sharing the dumps (and I have no idea what the first post said, as noted before).

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Nobody's accused them of being hoarders, but I continue to be mystified about how "here's the data, it's in a format we won't document" is anything other than asking MAMEdev to waste our time.

How is *anyone* intended to use their dumps if they won't document the format? Is this a binary DLL situation like Kryoflux again? Does the command line program that was originally shown in the first post output a sector image?

rfka01 Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
Sigh. MAME never was in their sights. Their hardware/software solution was only ever intended to copy hard sectored disks on modern hardware, producing flux based data as a side effect. Since these were the first copies, albeit not in image format for a) one machine that is already in MAME (Bull Questar/M) and b) another that was being discussed on VCFED (AES Lanier 103) I needed to introduce the archival solution first before I posted about the emulated machines in question.
Ladies and gentlemen, please direct your flak at me for obviously wasting MAMEdev time by pointing out things that in my opinion align with the overall conservation effort that I perceive MAME to be.
If Al hadn't started swearing at people that were just quoted by me (and asked to contribute), this thread could have gone under like others, where no MAMEdev is currently interested in tackling the new material, which is completely fine.
@RB if you're interested in what the software and dumps look like, please check the archive I uploaded to the FTP.

NCR DMV- DEC Rainbow- Siemens PCD- ITT 3030-Oly People- Acorn A5000- Olivetti M20
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (MAMEBase, Carbon), 12 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,070
Posts118,935
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com