Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
The pretty artwork has a performance cost. How do I make it go away forever and ever by default in mame.ini or ui.ini except for those machines where the artwork serves a useful purpose?

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Delete the artwork files that you put in your artwork/ folder then, I guess, because the default artwork that's packed in with sets actually has a useful purpose. That or invest in something better than a potato.

D
OP Offline
D
I have a Ryzen 7 5800, 64GB of RAM, and an RTX2060. My computer is not a potato. And the picture of a monitor/TV and the console/computer being emulated does not serve a purpose beyond looking pretty. What said pictures do do is give me a nice performance hit.

(PlayStation with picture of a TV and a PlayStation)
reynard@corvus:~$ mame64 -window psu tinytank

Average speed: 68.57% (3 seconds)

(PlayStation w/o picture)
reynard@corvus:~$ mame64 -window psu tinytank

Average speed: 100.01% (4 seconds)

---

(Commodore 64 with picture of a 1702 monitor)
reynard@corvus:~$ mame64 -window c64
Warning: layout view 'Commodore 1702' contains deprecated bezel element
Average speed: 76.90% (10 seconds)

(Commodore 64 w/o picture)
reynard@corvus:~$ mame64 -window c64
Average speed: 100.00% (8 seconds)

So, how do I tell MAME to not load in the pictures, and have my request honored for more than one re-start? Because for some reason, the Video options that I set in the UI are not being remembered beyond the next invocation.

Last edited by Doc Flareon; 01/04/22 05:42 AM. Reason: Added more information.
What specific options are not being saved?

Mame typically saves system specific configuration options in cfg\SYSTEMNAME.cfg so you would want to make sure you have a cfg folder and that you have WRITE access to that folder (since you appear to be on linux). For example, you should see a cfg\psu.cfg file.

As to the artwork... yeah... delete the ones you don't want to see...

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
With that sort of GPU and that sort of CPU, there's absolutely no way that enabling what amounts to an overlay would crater your performance that badly, unless your system was tragically misconfigured.

I know that you're running Linux, but so are you and like a quarter of the MAME team, and absolutely none of them have reported anything resembling the performance issues that you are, even with artwork *and* GPU-heavy post-processing shaders.

Make sure your own house is in order before blaming the neighbors.

D
OP Offline
D
So here's the problem. MAME is auto-reverting the changes to the config file on the second re-load.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Just Desserts
With that sort of GPU and that sort of CPU, there's absolutely no way that enabling what amounts to an overlay would crater your performance that badly, unless your system was tragically misconfigured.

I know that you're running Linux, but so are you and like a quarter of the MAME team, and absolutely none of them have reported anything resembling the performance issues that you are, even with artwork *and* GPU-heavy post-processing shaders.

Make sure your own house is in order before blaming the neighbors.
Oh, I would love to figure out what compile-time option or shared library weirdness is hosing the executable's performance.

What I can't understand is why MAME is deciding on its own to revert changes to the config files. I slapped a bandage on the issue by making the config files read-only once they're the way that I want them.

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Why do you insist on circling back to blaming MAME in some fashion for your distro being badly configured?

This isn't some compile-flag thing with MAME.

This isn't some configuration thing with MAME.

This is your computer with exceedingly capable specs having a coronary when doing something that it should handle trivially.

The majority of the really senior developers on MAME use Linux. None of them have this issue that you're reporting, even with bone-stock compile flags and configuration. Like I said: Get your own house in order.

Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
What’s your -video option set to?

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I'll bet actual money he's running software GLX. What's "glxinfo" say your driver is?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Pernod), 19 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,071
Posts118,945
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com