Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#120486 02/17/22 12:34 AM
K
kmg Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Anybody have any of these or info on them? I've compiled a preliminary software list of the 38 known carts based on Famicom dumps, as I expect the FamicomBox versions mostly contain unmodified data. In fact I think this is part of the reason they aren't documented, because nobody has found anything interesting for the most part. Things I'm most eager for:

- Confirm dumps match (of course!) and in particular match up which revisions made it to the FamicomBox in the case of games that had revisions.
- Get dumps for Ice Hockey (suspect it is different from US cart) and Volleyball (confirmed it is different from US cart). These were FDS games in Japan and never had a cartridge release there AFAIK. Same story for Pro Wrestling, but the FamicomBox version has been dumped in recent years so I have this one.
- Confirm the menu cart dump for the Sharp version of the system, the FamicomStation. This was recently added to MAME, but the dump comes from a damaged board and has had two bytes repaired.
- Get cartridge PCB info. I have photos of 14 so far: 1943, Argos no Senshi, Excitebike, F-1 Race, Gradius, Mahjong, Makaimura (need a clearer image to read PCB serial), Mario Bros, Pro Wres, Super Chinese 2, SMB, Takahashi Meijin no Boukenjima, TwinBee, Volleyball.

Any help is appreciated if you know of people who have some of these carts or systems. I've also asked on NesDev. ICEknigh7 also seems to have a lock on verifying 10 of them via the lovely people on the preservation discord.

K
kmg Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Over at forums.nesdev.org, j4m13c0 dumped 20 carts and Fiskbit has reported the checksums and couple carts with minor header changes. Turns out Ice Hockey does match the US release. Anyway here's an update for anyone who may be able to help with missing dump info.

Still needs confirmed: 1943, Argos no Senshi (Rygar), Devil World, Donald Land, Donkey Kong Jr., Excitebike, Gomoku Narabe Renju, Gradius, Hogan's Alley, Ice Climber, Kame no Ongaeshi - Urashima Densetsu, Ninja Ryukenden, Punch-Out!!, Rockman, Soccer League - Winner's Cup, Super Chinese 2 - Dragon Kid, TwinBee, Volleyball

Matches a known dump: Baseball, Bomberman, Donkey Kong, Duck Hunt, F-1 Race, Golf, Ice Hockey, Mahjong, Makaimura, Mario Bros., Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Senjou no Ookami, Super Mario Bros., Takahashi Meijin no Boukenjima (Adventure Island), Tennis, Wild Gunman, Wrecking Crew

Header/padding differences: Fighting Golf, Knight Rider

Unique: Pro Wrestling

K
kmg Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Here's a little extra info after poking around in known Famicom dumps. It should be that at the very least these differ from existing dumps: Argos no Senshi, Gradius, Ninja Ryukenden, Punch-Out!!, and Volleyball.

In addition to having a CIC lockout chip (that differs from the NES ones) the FamicomBox units do a checksum verification on each cart (that's why the system takes so long to start up). For early releases it can test against its own checksum database. Later games MUST have an internal header with a correct checksum or they will be ignored by the unit. The games mentioned above are missing the internal header info.

K
kmg Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Again over at forums.nesdev.org, Fiskbit has reported on another round of dumps, this time courtesy of RetroGE. 10 FamicomStation carts (gray carts that go along with the Sharp branded version of the system) have been confirmed unsurprisingly to match the black FamicomBox carts. Several more FamicomBox carts were also dumped giving confirmations of previous dumps and also a few new ones. The current status...

Still needs confirmed: 1943, Devil World, Donald Land, Donkey Kong Jr., Excitebike, Ice Climber, Kame no Ongaeshi - Urashima Densetsu, Punch-Out!!

Matches a known dump: Baseball, Bomberman, Donkey Kong, Duck Hunt, F-1 Race, Golf, Gomoku Narabe Renju, Hogan's Alley, Ice Hockey, Mahjong, Makaimura, Mario Bros., Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Rockman, Senjou no Ookami, Soccer League - Winner's Cup, Super Mario Bros., Super Chinese 2 - Dragon Kid, Takahashi Meijin no Boukenjima (Adventure Island), Tennis, Wild Gunman, Wrecking Crew

Header/padding differences: Argos no Senshi (Rygar), Fighting Golf, Knight Rider, Ninja Ryukenden

Unique FDS conversions: Pro Wrestling, Volleyball

Unique builds: Gradius, TwinBee

K
kmg Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Final update: an alternate build of Senjou no Ookami (Commando) turned up which has been converted to use a standard UxROM type board. Interesting since the other dump matched the Famicom game which is one of those weird one-off boards that was wired slightly differently for no apparent reason. And now we have two FamicomBox versions for no apparent reason.

Other tidbits: Gradius and TwinBee have no graphics ROM differences. Everything seems to be minimal get-it-to-run-on-the-new-hardware type effort here, not surprisingly. 9 variants were found altogether, with maybe a couple more on the way at some point.

Anybody interested in further info can see my PR for the famibox softlist or, with the good graces of the powers that be, hash/famicom.xml if it gets merged. Future updates will be there only and few and far between.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Vas Crabb), 38 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,086
Posts119,088
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com