Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R. Belmont #100169 06/13/15 02:47 PM
Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
ETA: I just noticed that as a side-effect of this, none of the relevant ROM sites or torrents have this ROM, so nobody was able to use the MPU-401. Whoops.

The situation just changed on one of the sites at least smile...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]

We're searching for QMC2 translators and support for existing translations. Interested? See here!
Firehawke #100172 06/13/15 04:22 PM
O
Online Content
O
It may be possible to hack some kind of linked list through the device creator template... I need to find what I broken in robowres though.

OG.

Firehawke #100173 06/13/15 06:59 PM
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Yeah, it's not high priority, but obviously having a required ROM for a peripheral go unnoticed by CMP is not ideal.

Firehawke #100187 06/15/15 05:10 AM
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
the reported problem has been worked around in current git tree.
unfortunately, the problem might resurface if e.g. a slot option enables a sub-slot option where one of the devices has a rom that is not used anywhere else... which is not happening at the moment and I hope it will never happen :-)

however, the issue is complex: current MAME core is heavily hierarchical, with the "central" machine requiring a driver to be attached as root_device, and then as many slot devices as you like that can be connected creating a (virtually) infinite tree of possible configuration. since a listing command as -lx cannot walk through the whole tree, it currently tries to be "creative" and simulate attaching each device to a driver and giving the corresponding output for both the attached device and its subdevices. It does not walk further down, though. I think no clean solution is really possible, until we impose a "machine neutrality" system that allows devices to be attached to the main machine without intermediate steps.

such advancement would also allow to clean up a few small inconsistencies of the -lx output for some devices across different releases: devices like disk controller can be configured differently in different systems, and thus their available slots or the format they support for loading depend on the system you are parsing. This is absolutely fine when you invoke "mame system -lx", but it's less pleasant in "mame -lx" because each device is output only at its first occurrence and thus you only detect the configuration of its first appearance (and this might change across releases when new drivers are added).

etabeta78 #100188 06/15/15 06:43 AM
O
Online Content
O
Originally Posted By etabeta78
devices like disk controller can be configured differently in different systems, and thus their available slots or the format they support for loading depend on the system you are parsing.

Really? There are machine_config_fragments that are not constant?

I'd have thought that if (big if) we had a linked list of all possible devices, we could dump their complete config including what can be connected to them, making all the information available in one xml...

OG.

Firehawke #100189 06/15/15 07:31 AM
Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
Thanks, etabeta78!

One issue is left though: mpu401 doesn't show up on -verifyroms even if it's in the ROM path. So probably a similar change is required for -verifyroms?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]

We're searching for QMC2 translators and support for existing translations. Interested? See here!
Firehawke #100190 06/15/15 07:42 AM
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
to both replies: I have to dig a bit more into the code, and then I'll reply smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Golden Child, Olivier Galibert), 38 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,924
Posts117,253
Members4,991
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com