Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 79 of 116 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 115 116
Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
@NLS:

- multiple paths ARE allowed mostly everywhere where it makes sense (all emu "search paths" and image folders/files at least)

- you can specify -config_path on the command line to change the "local" config path, otherwise it's auto-determined for good reasons, and "portable installs" are fully supported

- you have to specify paths in a POSIX-compliant way ("auto-correction" would mean to guess what the user wants, and that's plain wrong)

@Shideravan:

QMC2 supports the codecs you've installed, so basically yes.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
MAME itself does at least some auto-correction on paths. Just replace all instances of \ or / with the locally correct version. As long as you don't try and get any trickier that works in a lot of cases.

N
NLS Offline
N
Thank you for your reply!

Originally Posted By qmc2
@NLS:

- multiple paths ARE allowed mostly everywhere where it makes sense (all emu "search paths" and image folders/files at least)

Well, for some reason they got chopped from my .ini (i.e. it deleted the extra paths and left the first). I have both the multi-path version (kept backup) and the "chopped" version if you wanna see the ini.

- you can specify -config_path on the command line to change the "local" config path, otherwise it's auto-determined for good reasons, and "portable installs" are fully supported

Oups! Good to know. Thanks.
Of course this means a shortcut with edited command line or a batch file (to specify the parameter).
Would be more transparent if it first checked local directory then home. But that's just my opinion of course.

- you have to specify paths in a POSIX-compliant way ("auto-correction" would mean to guess what the user wants, and that's plain wrong)

Auto-correction would mean just a bit more portability (even between different OSes... with different executables in same folder, esp. when using relative paths - which IIRC you also implemented some years ago after my request :P).
QMC2 "knows better" what kind of path style the OS that it currently runs wants to see (and MAME excutable on that OS).
Again just an opinion.

I mean if someone because of stupid mix of copy-paste and manual typing writes a path in .ini:

Code:
..\..\EMULATORS\MAME/snaps/

I think the system should be able to understand what he means and change the .ini properly for the current OS and MAME executable expected parameters.

Anyway. Thanks for listening. smile

(btw... can someone help with why I cannot submit feature requests in mantis? Is this on purpose?)

Last edited by NLS; 06/24/15 12:32 PM.
Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
Originally Posted By NLS
(btw... can someone help with why I cannot submit feature requests in mantis? Is this on purpose?)

I'm that "someone" smile. Anyway, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to report a feature request. Every "reporter" level account can do this.

Also, whatever path options you set up via ini's is completely up to you - QMC2 doesn't care for those or manage them, and it would thus not auto-correct settings you made in those ini's anyway wink.

Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member

@Shideravan:
QMC2 supports the codecs you've installed, so basically yes.

Great. I sent a feature request in Mantis smile

"A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it's not that good."
Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
I said it *IS* already supported (through the YouTube feature), it only depends on the codecs you've installed on your system (QMC2 has no control over that), so I'll close the feature request...

Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
No. I think that you didn't understand. I was requesting about LOCAL files (.avi or .mp4). Not Youtube videos (I know thats already supported, but it's a different thing).

"A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it's not that good."
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
Also, I think that local files would be great if a "mini player" could be shown for these kind of files in templates.
For exemple rather than a "preview" image, there could be a macro for exhibit the small video in the templates.
That would work very well in QMC2-Arcade, giving an nice effect similar to these in HyperSpin's, for example (but obviously better because it's QMC2).

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
Yeah, I meant "local" movie files as well. They are supported by the YouTube feature.

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
Since I need to support YouTube data API v3 I will revise the module anyway. When I do, I'll try to also add support for "local movie folders" to automatically choose a video based on the current system's name (additional to "manually attached" videos). I think that's what you actually want.

Also, when you request one feature at a time (and not 3-4 features in one request) the chances are better that I'll accept it smile.

BTW, I've reopened the request.

Page 79 of 116 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 115 116

Moderated by  qmc2 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (R. Belmont, Praxis, 1 invisible), 16 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,099
Posts119,227
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com